Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just picked up my ZF6 and 271 T-case from my trans builder today.

I am into to them for a little over 2k.:doh:

I am so glad I mostly deal with OBS and ZF5s The zf6 is STUPID expensive

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
That sucks, rebuild kits aren't that expensive for them. Sounds like you got burnt by the tranny shop.

ZF6 rebuild kits/ parts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks, rebuild kits aren't that expensive for them. Sounds like you got burnt by the tranny shop.

ZF6 rebuild kits/ parts
Actually that place you listed is a rip off

I needed a main shaft, my cost was 175 that place wanted $505:eek:
Bearings, seals & syncros, my cost 450 that place $634:eek:
Input shaft my cost 175, that place $234

I could go on and on. But I saved over 1000 in parts buy using my guy(Roxbury Trans) and DAN(SOGRAND) from Midwest Transmission Center(sponsor)

My total parts bill was 1285 and the labor was 800

It just sucks, I had my ZF 5 done about 6 months ago for 450

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Actually that place you listed is a rip off

I needed a main shaft, my cost was 175 that place wanted $505:eek:
Bearings, seals & syncros, my cost 450 that place $634:eek:
Input shaft my cost 175, that place $234

I could go on and on. But I saved over 1000 in parts buy using my guy(Roxbury Trans) and DAN(SOGRAND) from Midwest Transmission Center(sponsor)

My total parts bill was 1285 and the labor was 800

It just sucks, I had my ZF 5 done about 6 months ago for 450
Ah, I just found them on google awhile back, never actually used them. Good to know that though for future reference. I guess you got screwed since you had to buy shafts, thats a bummer. I know most people can get a zf6 freshened up for under a grand. The trannys not a whole heck of a lot different than the zf5's. At least it should be ready to rock for at minimum another 200,000 miles.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I just found them on google awhile back, never actually used them. Good to know that though for future reference. I guess you got screwed since you had to buy shafts, thats a bummer. I know most people can get a zf6 freshened up for under a grand. The trannys not a whole heck of a lot different than the zf5's. At least it should be ready to rock for at minimum another 200,000 miles.
I hope so. Yeah, my input and main shaft were DONE

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Why ?

How much power were you running and how did you use your truck ?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock power it whole life grossing out at close to 30,000 every day

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
They are expensive!!! I got my ZF6 and T-Case for around 2k as well...

I got it in and done and it works!!! Goes into gear better then my ZF5 did.. BUT then the synchronizers were out of it to..

So you are putting this in a OBS???

If so... Are you going to do a write up??

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
F no!. It is going back in the F550 it came out of. I dont want be involved with another ZF6s. I will take my ZF 5 that I can bench press into place any day over this OVERPRICED boat anchor

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
F no!. It is going back in the F550 it came out of. I dont want be involved with another ZF6s. I will take my ZF 5 that I can bench press into place any day over this OVERPRICED boat anchor
LOL Ok he ZF5 are really light!! 160 to 175 I think.. The ZF6 is like 260 to 280 I think When Picked the ZF6 out of the back of the pickup and caried it over to where I was going to do the swap I bent part way over and then just droped it in the dirt :D To pick it right up of the ground just about makes the back beg for mercy!! Trust me here!!!

I love the wieght and size of the ZF5!!! ;)

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to use the cherry picker tonight to pick the ZF6 up to mate it to the engine, ANd mine you, they are BOTH sitting on my garage floor. Dam thing weighs a ton

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
$20 says your zf6 issues were related to pilot bearing issues or several other things that can go wrong with the clutch/flywheel on these trucks that affect the transmission.

The ZF6 is fairly stout. Its not an Eaton, but its pretty decent.

There is no way I'd replace one with a ZF5.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$20 says your zf6 issues were related to pilot bearing issues or several other things that can go wrong with the clutch/flywheel on these trucks that affect the transmission.

The ZF6 is fairly stout. Its not an Eaton, but its pretty decent.

There is no way I'd replace one with a ZF5.
You are right. the pilot bearing going out ruined the input shaft.

but the main shaft and t-case coupler was just plain worn out. Cant say i have ever seen a zf5 main shaft worn out and I have seen a lot more of those Trans

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SOGRAND he is a sponsor on here. His company is Midwest trans. You will not find a nicer guy to deal with or better prices

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You are right. the pilot bearing going out ruined the input shaft.

but the main shaft and t-case coupler was just plain worn out. Cant say i have ever seen a zf5 main shaft worn out and I have seen a lot more of those Trans
Sorry to hear of all this. Best of luck fixing it. Thanks for the update. Its great to hear the outcome of a request for help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I talked with Connie there yesterday. They don't have the parts I need and they will be at least a month out is what she said but it sounded like they were on back order so she wasn't even sure they would be in then. Is there any other recommended place on where to buy parts?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can try Rockland Gear, but be sitting down they are EXPENSIVE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts