Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this be done ? 1997 f 350 5 spd 4x4 psd srw lb need new trans want to go with the zf6 if it can be done... let me know what you guys know on this swap... thanks...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can and has been done. Alot of debates have gone on about whether it is worth it or not. Some have had to modify tunnel to make clearance, some haven't. Also have to rig up a trans cooler setup for the zf6.

I personally don't think it's worth it unless you can source a zf6 and matching tcase for next to nothing. IMHO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ! it well worth it just for the cool factor if nothing else... plus you get that solid granny first stump pulling first gear... now second becomes your best friend for starts... the zf5 I find is just a bit week on number second starts... can you lead me to part numbers or to any more info on this so I can begin my parts collection ... if you don't mind and have the time school me on what I will be expecting especially all the little things that may come up to rear ugly heads... you know those gremlins the ones that teach you what you want to warn others about if they attempt the same thing... pretty much what these forums were built on... thanks man ! getting excited to move on this... had this on my mind for quite some time now... also were all the zf6 exactly the same through the years as far as gear set up and case configuration... what about clutch set up ... LOTS OF QUESTIONS ... guys please chime in on this one... let me know what you know about this...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its been done there is a thread on here or PS.org where a guy swapped a ZF6 in place of a ZF5.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Typically a ZF6 sells for $2000(just the trans) So if it is that cool, than go for it.

As for the gear ratios, the early zf5s(s-42 87-95) had a piss poor 1st and reverse(4.14 and 3.79)

The later ones(s-47 96/97) had much better 1st and reverse (5.08 and 4.66)

The Zf6 1st and reverse are 5.79 and 5.23

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like the same price for the zf5 from what I have found... plus my trans is in great shape should be able to re sell it... just over 100 k miles only needs are the second synchronizer has gone out... some what of a pida when pulling... other wise usually start in second ... really want to give this a serious look ... let me know if you guys can think of anything else... thanks for the gear info I appreciate the help and info on that... any ideas on where to get a mint set up trans and transfer case zf6 for sure ... I will do some more research keep the post updated as I figure this out...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't know the ZF6 had a trans cooler. Neato

·
Registered
169 Posts
Typically a ZF6 sells for $2000(just the trans) So if it is that cool, than go for it.

As for the gear ratios, the early zf5s(s-42 87-95) had a piss poor 1st and reverse(4.14 and 3.79)

The later ones(s-47 96/97) had much better 1st and reverse (5.08 and 4.66)

The Zf6 1st and reverse are 5.79 and 5.23

"Piss poor" really depends what you're using the truck for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I work the truck and she has quite a bit of mods about as much as one can do to this old girl... she has been with me for quite some time since she was a baby in fact / new... banks 100 hp chip ... mag high tech dif covers, front and back... k/n enlarged plenum CIA... complete stripped exhaust... replaced with 3 1/2 custom downpipe... swaged into 5 inch custom short exhaust... routed under crew cab... 90 % angle pipe, after 5 inch ss flex coupler... swaged into 8 inch coupler connected to 8 inch custom straight aussie cut stack... three inch leveling lift front leafs... running on retro center line bottle cap 16.5 x 12 aluminum wheels... with bf Goodrich 35 ... full defi gauge cluster including pyro, fuel pres, oil pres, trans temp, oil temp, water temp., boost pres, custom built carrier barring... hardened yokes... custom built drive shaft... man I could go on and on... she is ranched ... put in the car hauling business... six horse slant load totter...30 scarab opened fish... got to go fishing guys... lets not forget construction duty... she is called to action on every day and delivers the grunt for me every time I call on her... yeah I say she is used as a truck ... see my point about my desire for the zf 6 upgrade... it has to be better than the five for a truck ... well stated my friend... please dig up what you guys know about this mod I am very appreciative ... I will build a thread on the swap for others that want to try this on for size...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I work the truck and she has quite a bit of mods about as much as one can do to this old girl... she has been with me for quite some time since she was a baby in fact / new... banks 100 hp chip ... mag high tech dif covers, front and back... k/n enlarged plenum CIA... complete stripped exhaust... replaced with 3 1/2 custom downpipe... swaged into 5 inch custom short exhaust... routed under crew cab... 90 % angle pipe, after 5 inch ss flex coupler... swaged into 8 inch coupler connected to 8 inch custom straight aussie cut stack... three inch leveling lift front leafs... running on retro center line bottle cap 16.5 x 12 aluminum wheels... with bf Goodrich 35 ... full defi gauge cluster including pyro, fuel pres, oil pres, trans temp, oil temp, water temp., boost pres, custom built carrier barring... hardened yokes... custom built drive shaft... man I could go on and on... she is ranched ... put in the car hauling business... six horse slant load totter...30 scarab opened fish... got to go fishing guys... lets not forget construction duty... she is called to action on every day and delivers the grunt for me every time I call on her... yeah I say she is used as a truck ... see my point about my desire for the zf 6 upgrade... it has to be better than the five for a truck ... well stated my friend... please dig up what you guys know about this mod I am very appreciative ... I will build a thread on the swap for others that want to try this on for size...
I had a buddy do it and he said it was not worth it and wouldn't do it again. Also about he sold it to a guy we know and about 50k or so later the ZF6 bellhousing got destroyed along with other parts and I think it had a good bit to do with the excessive vibration it received from being a tight squeeze up there.

I would find a nice S547. They run about $750 where I'm from in Ohio.

Oh and you have to lengthen or shorten (can't remember) your driveshafts for the swap.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I had a buddy do it and he said it was not worth it and wouldn't do it again. Also about he sold it to a guy we know and about 50k or so later the ZF6 bellhousing got destroyed along with other parts and I think it had a good bit to do with the excessive vibration it received from being a tight squeeze up there.

I would find a nice S547. They run about $750 where I'm from in Ohio.

Oh and you have to lengthen or shorten (can't remember) your driveshafts for the swap.
He already has a s47

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must be plotting a course into un charted territory ... was hoping for someone on this forum that would lead me to some good intell on my endeavors here... let me know guys anything is helpful ... their must be someone with some info on this swap... their is no way I am the first to think this up... and if that is the case ... wow ! here is what I know for sure so far and it all doable... swap the trans... swap the transfer case... swap the transfer case control arms... swap the clutch / flywheel... swap the clutch fork... swap the slave cylinder... shorten front / rear drive shafts... looks like the zf6 shifter assembly is one inch further back than the zf5 not sure if this is a issue or not yet... looks like all the transfer case linkage will work out by just swapping out for the zf6 linkage ... not sure if I will need to swap out the actual selector handle in the cab... chime in let me know if I am missing anything people... thanks...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going for it ! just purchased some of the first parts... ford makes a slave cylinder set up ready to go pre bled right out of the box... less than 200 one issue down much more to go... keep the info coming this way... set me up with anyone you can think of that knows anything about this ... thanks guys/girls...

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The FIRST thing I would of bought is the trans and t-case since you are looking at about 2000 for them

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after looking around the block at this and other forums their have been quite a few guys that have taken this mod under their wing and flew with it... unfortunately for me most of them ditched their auto trans for the zf5 or zf6... not entirely what I need to read for research... funny thing is that on every single thread their is always someone that tries to talk them down from the plunge... just a observation from my side... I myself don't really care for the naysayers because usually they are the guys that just blow a lot of chunks and spew their opinion on the guys that truly are innovators inevitably learning from them... you cant learn until you make mistakes period... anyway picked up some good info and got some prices ... looks like without a core exchange the out the door price for the rebuilt zf6 and transfer case is around 2800 ... what do you guys think about this price ... if anyone has a deal that can beat this let me know ... appreciate it for sure... this price is picked up ...

·
Registered
758 Posts
after looking around the block at this and other forums their have been quite a few guys that have taken this mod under their wing and flew with it... unfortunately for me most of them ditched their auto trans for the zf5 or zf6... not entirely what I need to read for research... funny thing is that on every single thread their is always someone that tries to talk them down from the plunge... just a observation from my side... I myself don't really care for the naysayers because usually they are the guys that just blow a lot of chunks and spew their opinion on the guys that truly are innovators inevitably learning from them... you cant learn until you make mistakes period... anyway picked up some good info and got some prices ... looks like without a core exchange the out the door price for the rebuilt zf6 and transfer case is around 2800 ... what do you guys think about this price ... if anyone has a deal that can beat this let me know ... appreciate it for sure... this price is picked up ...
I don't think it's so much that people who try to steer you away from it are blowing chunks. I, myself have thought about swapping in a zf6, but there comes a point where its just not realist anymore. Like already said many have done it successfully. It's not like your redesigning the wheel here. The trans is bolt in(to the bellhousing) with modification needed to almost everything else to make it work. It just takes time and money. In all means go for it no one is stopping you but yourself.

This is how I look at it, and these are real rough estimates just for the principle
$2000- trans & tcase
$500-700- good clutch
$500-1000- slave line, crossmember and driveline mods?, pedal assemblies, ECT.

Now on the low side(again these are ROUGH numbers), I would personally rather invest that potential $3000 towards a t4 turbo setup or hybrids, something I would get much more use and reward from then having a extra gear. Again this is just me.

Best of luck on the swap.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I have not done a ZF6 swap YET, but I have done enough reading on the subject, have driven enough ZF5s and ZF6s that is NOT worth the effort to swap from the 5 to the 6. Also have worked on both and know the cost difference between the 2. I am replacing my T19 in my 86 with a ZF6 for 3 reasons.

1. I got the trans, t-case and all associated parts for FREE
2. I need OD
3. A ZF5 will not take the abuse the engine will put it thru

·
Registered
53 Posts
Brads last reason is the only reason to go from the zf5 to zf6. I was huntin down a 99-04 PSD zf6 truck for some time cause the trans is ford rated at 520 ft lbs but ZF rated at 650 ft lbs. They have also been used in applications of over 1000 ft lbs reliably, though theres no guarantee it will survive. Id suggest unless your gunna be runnin some insane power from your 7.3 to not even worry bout it. By the way Brad is that 86 the one your putting the DT360 in?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts