Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best oil to use and I think I saw somewhere to park truck on a 4x4 to help over fill the trans any truth to that? Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is it low or are you replacing it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a used transmission and tcase so planning on draining and filling with fresh oil

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it necessary to over fill it I just remember reading something along those lines somewhere. No advice on oil?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
my 6th gear hates me so i run 140w? gear lube in mine, (really thick stuff) added i think it was 2gal but thats just what i did. others will chime in in a minute to better help ya

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it shift with that thick of oil?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
shifts normal to me, 6th still tends to scratch & kick out of gear but other then that i didnt notice any difference. neither good or bad

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Doesn't it require synthetic ATF? I thought all these newer trannies had materials on the synchros that would be destroyed by old-school gear lube.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,124 Posts
Doesn't it require synthetic ATF? I thought all these newer trannies had materials on the synchros that would be destroyed by old-school gear lube.
Yes, you are correct, but a lot of people know better than the engineers that designed the transmission and run what they want to run.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There has been a change in the oil spec in the newer ZF6s. They are running some form of gear oil, I forget which. Google is your friend.

So, based on the advise of some people here, I am running 55-120 synthetic in my ZF6 and it shifts terrible. I'll go back to synthetic ATF like its supposed to have shortly.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There has been a change in the oil spec in the newer ZF6s. They are running some form of gear oil, I forget which. Google is your friend.
Is this just a change in the spec, or is something internal (esp. synchros) different, calling for the different lube?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

So, based on the advise of some people here, I am running 55-120 synthetic in my ZF6 and it shifts terrible. I'll go back to synthetic ATF like its supposed to have shortly.
i think ill be doing the same here shotly also

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe ZF recommends a Mercon V ATF and that the Ford spec references the same.
I'm using Redline D4 ATF. About 6 quarts I think.
Owners manual is available at motorcraftservice.com if you want to check.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts