Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question. I did a clutch job on my 2002 ford f.250 with the zf6 this past weekend. When I finished up I found the fill plug is stripped out and also the 6 bolts holding the shift lever in place on the top were also stripped- (don’t ask what I had to do to drop the tranny lol). So my question is can I fill it up through one of the top pto inspection cover bolt holes? I know it won’t be easy since it’s so small but it’s about my only option at this point.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I don't know if you can or can't but it would take a long time to get the correct amount of fluid into the transmission through such a small hole.

I would work on getting the plug out. When you say it is stripped is it the hex head or the threads that are stripped? If it is the head and if you have a dremel tool you can reshape it to where you can get a smaller socket onto it. You can also find a 6 pt socket and see if you can hammer it onto the plug, or try using a pipe wrench.

For the shift lever bolts go down to Harbor Freight and get a set of their reverse drill bits. Then with a drill in reverse you should be able to get them out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have removed these by first drilling part way through the plug. Then use a left hand tap and a left handed bolt. Another possibility - if you have room just weld a bolt onto the exposed end of the plug. It will be much easier to fix the transmission now while you have it out. And it will help with future repairs too.

Cj

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,356 Posts
I mean, if the trans is still out, just tip it sideways and fill through the PTO cover hole is an option too, if you don't want to fix the bolts or plug.

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
So those bolts for the shifter are Allen heads. So just go buy a cheap set of easy outs and find one that fits snuggly into the bolt and back it out.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I have never had any luck with easy outs, they always end up breaking.

That is where I like to use the reverse drill bit. Usually as soon as the bit bites the bolt will come right out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Sadly the transmission was already back in when I realized the fill plug was stripped out. I ended up just filling through one of the pto cover bolt holes. It was slow but worked. The fill plug on the transfer case came out with no trouble. Thanks for the tips on removing the plug I’ll make sure I get that done before the next fluid change. Now if I can just get the next issue figured out.... after a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing I can’t get the truck in low or reverse when it’s running. Makes me think I did something wrong but I’m not sure yet. I have been reading a lot on this and there seems to be many different variables that could cause this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All other gears go in smoothly. There is no grinding or anything when trying to go into low or reverse it just doesn’t even try

·
Registered
214 Posts
If memory serves.. First (maybe) and reverse(definitely) don't have syncros. Check the linkages in the cab for loose/worn pivot points. If your 02 is similar to my 97, Ford used plastic bushings to support the clutch petal/shaft. When the bushings wear out you don't get as much "push" movement from the clutch hydraulics which translates into the pressure plate not moving enough to fully release the friction plate. That little bit of load makes it hard to get into reverse and first gear.

Cj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@cjfisher you were spot on. It was a really worn out bushing that connects the pedal to the master cylinder push rod. Got it fixed and transmission shifts perfect

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good to hear! Did the push rod wear into the pin on the the end of the petal arm? I ask because that is what happened to mine. I ended up milling out the worn down pin and welding a new pin in. Then I had to weld up the hole (well it was more of an oval shape) in the push rod and mill it out again. I went with an oil filled bronze bushing between the two. Ford really didn't leave much room in the system for slop or worn components.

Cj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@cjfisher yes the pin was badly worn on one side. The push rod actually wasn’t bad considering the shape the pin was in. Right now I have it kind of rigged up temporarily with a new bushing and a small piece of fuel line over the pin so that it holds it tight for the time being. In the near future I will have to do something similar to what you did. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
214 Posts
No problem. I don't have a great picture of the rod and pin... take a look at post 12 here: Project Jumbo... Mod? Build? Just plain crazy? I have a couple of pictures of what I did on my truck. If you want a little more info I'll see about getting a better picture. The pin I used was from Mcmaster Carr and had a tapped hole in it.

Cj

·
Registered
5 Posts
If memory serves.. First (maybe) and reverse(definitely) don't have syncros. Check the linkages in the cab for loose/worn pivot points. If your 02 is similar to my 97, Ford used plastic bushings to support the clutch petal/shaft. When the bushings wear out you don't get as much "push" movement from the clutch hydraulics which translates into the pressure plate not moving enough to fully release the friction plate. That little bit of load makes it hard to get into reverse and first gear.

Cj
Low AND reverse are synchro

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ken,

Interesting... I wasn't sure about first... But I thought reverse didn't have a syncro... I'll have to find myself a parts diagram of the ZF6.

Cj

1 - 15 of 15 Posts