Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, first post.
I got a 01 f350 dually rwd with the zf6.
When i baught it from the PO and he put a external electric oil pump and routed the inlet from the tranny to the external pump , then the cooler, then to a outlet that was made in the pto cover. Where it also was drilled and tapped for a trans temp sensor.
At the time i was never aware that the zf6 had a internal pump , i noticed now that ive owned the truck for over a year see that the outlet on the tranny is capped. Ive never used the electric pump yet(wired to a toggle switch in cab) but i notice the trans pump (internal) is making no pressure whith engine running, in gear,nuetral, nothing. And ive done some towing with the truck and when towing(roughly 7,000lbs) the trans temp will get up to 190-210 if pushing more than 55mph, it will rise as the speed rises. My question is has anyone else ever ran a external cooler pump , and did it damage the tranny?
Im towing my enclosed trailer to florida(3000 mile round trip) in a month for vacation (towing all the familys motorcycles down there for a weel long ride) and i want to make sure i wont cook my trans, i havnt towing up to this point. Id like to see how my temp reacts when the external pump is on.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
The stock cooler runs through the radiator so seeing temps of 190-210 isn't all that bad. Its pretty much normal. I wouldn't start worrying about temps tell 230-240.

As for the internal pump. I'm not sure. From what I've read it should pump any time the clutch is out and the engine is running. I'm not too sure what is the inlet or outlet either. Let me do some more looking and I'll post back.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Also, the pump may have been installed because the internal is not making pressure. Maybe the internal is shot so he put an external on it.

Now, how is the outlet capped? That doesn't make any sense. How could any pump ever work if one of the ports is capped?

Inlet and out let can be confusing and there in no consistency at all. When flushing tranny's, I just disconnecting the lines and start it for a sec and see which line it runs out of before I hook up to them.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
Yeah it's weird. The gm version of the zf6 didn't have a pump or a cooler. I have never checked the temp on mine or even know if the pump is doing anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When i uncapped the lines comming out of the tranny, both lines had no pressure. Ii assume the PO installed the external electrix pump because the internal pump wasnt working. Is it bad tp have a external pump circulating the fluid to the cooler and tranny? If the internal pump is bad and dosnt buils preasure, could it hurt the trans running a external electric cooler pump? Ive been rrading old threada and everyone seems to only see temps of 150 160 175 when towing heavy. I allways am arpund 190-210. Even empty my temps are 140-160. And this is without running the electric external pump

·
STROKER
13 Posts
hard to say why previous owner put the external pump on there, maybe internal took a crap, or just extra insurance, either way an external pump will not harm your transmission. I have a 2002 CCSB PSD with 165k on the clock, the top line of mine is the return line. I live in Colorado and have towed trailers weighing anywhere from 8k-18k up some of the nastiest passes this country has to offer, the only good thing here is the ambient air temp never really gets above 75 degree at the tops of those high passes, so that helps. but I know my pump works, towing empty tranny gets to about 180-190, towing 18k 195-215, like previously mentioned the cooler is ran through a seperate core on the radiator, so whatever your water temp is doing your tranny will follow (slightly). Just remember, when towing heavy lugging is your worst enemy! keep that 7.3 at about 2200-2400 rpm (that's where mine pulls the best) and that ZF6 will just smile and ask for more. I also change my tranny fluid every 15k miles, and run mercon V. make sure you have fresh oil in there before your long trip and all will be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, i wasnt sure but i feel a lil more confident. I will foraure change out my fluid before the trip, just wiah the tranny wasnt so damn loud sometimes like ball bearings but ive driven semis in much noisier shape. Ill keep a good eye on ut, and if my trans is safe to be up to 215, i wont use the external pump unless she starts to run hot, then i will, ill be sure to test it out before i make the trip. I got the 4.10 glrear end so 2400rpms wont be a problem if im haulin 65mph or 70.

·
Administrator
8,237 Posts
So what your are hearing is roll over. Use a good quality synthetic like amsoil or redline. Then take the shifter off and over fill it about a quart. People also report that syncromesh works well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amsoil or redline is safe in these trannys? I allways ran mercon atf. Atleast thats what ford recommend s . Why overfill the trans? Wont that cause it to start leaking with too much fluid? Or is that just better for tranny heat?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts