Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
compresion ignition adict
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this ZF6 trans from a member on here about 3 months ago while i was doing my cummins conversion... Found out when i get the trans home that it was full of rust. The guy had claimed that it had been in a garage for a year on the floor.. that i can belive. But the mistake by him of not keeping any oil in the trans let the iternals collect moisture and rust the inside of the trans. End result... when he sold the trans to me he had no knowlege of this. Thats fine, after i got the trans home and seen this i let him know rite away. We agreed that i try some seafoam and lucas. While the swap was in full swing i filled the trans with some fresh atf... seafoam and lucas and let it sit to break up some of the rust. When it came time to install the trans i drained the ATF and put the trans in. The first time we tried to fire the motor up with the trans attached no joy... the motor grunted like it was fighting against something then freed up all of asudden. When the motor finaly started there was a squealling and a knock coming from where the trans was. First we thought it might have been a bad clutch hyds or presure plate not letting the clutch dissengage but that was not the issue. The knocking stayed... the trans did not want to shift into gear while running. We finaly got in it in gear and took it down the drive way then back up... on the way back up the thing sounded like a roller coaster cart going up a hill...(click,click,click,click...) I had to be back to virginia because i was active duty navy so we left it at that.... I got home 3 weeks ago.. pulled the trans and took it to a good friend of mine that does transmissions and this is what he found.. The main bearings were sized up.... the main shaft actually ended up spining in its bearing sending shards of metal down into the gears. The badly pitted gears 1st, 2nd, reverse, 5th all got the brunt of the damage.. heres the pics..

Before we even knew what had happend.. my father contacted the guy who sold the trans to us. We asked if he might help cover the cost of parts and the guy prety much told my dad he was an idiot and didnt know what he was talking about... my dads been a diesel mechanic for 25+ years... civilian and 23 years in the army... What makes me mad is not the fact that he doesnt want to help make it rite its that he disrespected me and my dad after i paid $1200 for a transmission that he said had 36,000 miles on it....

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Wow that really sucks. Not to argue with you....but.... I am not completely sold that rust alone caused all that damage. The gears and internals appear to be pretty shiny and rust free. I would almost suspect there was mabey something else wrong with that tranny before you got it. I really can't imagine a transmission that was sitting in a garage would rust so bad that bearings would seized up. Just my .02, either way it sucks though. Sorry the guy had to hose you on it .

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Who was the psn member??

·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk about the rust issue..... it was prety bad at first than we let it soak and when we ran it it cleaned it up a bit... the fella that tore it down for me has been doin it for a while and he said the bearings were sized up in it... The guy that i bought it from said i must have been rhompin on it.. but thats more than far from the truth.. i took it down the drive way and back up..... And to break teeth on the gears like that would take some serious abuse or something seriously wrong.....

Doubledoor im not sure if i should post his name.... im not tryin to bag on him because that wont make it rite but if you want to know pm me and i will gladly share the info with you...

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sucks man I hate dishonest and disrepectful pieces of trash. I agree trans must have been trashed before the rust with the extent of the damage, and if he acted like that to your dad i'd be willing to bet he's the kind of piece of $#!* that would sell junk. Sorry for your luck man, congrats on the swap though I hope it works out for ya soon

·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man.. i gave the guy the benifit of the doubt... Ive got a line on another trans im hopeully gona go look at here soon... so well see.. the swap would have been done along time ago if the trans wasnt a pile of junk... its getting warm out and i really really want to drive the thing.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I am looking for a zf-6 transmission and only need 3rd gear and reverse for a pulling truck built. I saw it was going in a 2004, so is it from a 6.0? Wanna deal?

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
hope ya get a line on a good trans and get the truck rollin soon,as for the junk one its really not the best to judge from pics off the net but i think the guy that sold it to you had it sitting on the floor for a reason,i understand the bearings were siezed up and there may be something im not seing but there is very little signs of rust,i was expecting to see stalagtites of rust but it looks really clean and i would say the bearings were bad from metal particals(shredded gear teeth).your going about it the right way by holding his name to prevent a #### storm but at the same time people need to know who to avoid buying parts from.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
That transmission appears to have RTV on it. Ford uses a red anerobic sealant. It has been apart, or was taken apart at some point.

One piece of metal in there, dropped or whatever would do that to the gears. The bearings look good to me just from the pics, and there is no rust evident.

I would make damn sure it was his fault to start with, if it has been apart and not put together correctly that is another thing.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Check the tailhousing and see if the magnet is still in there, it lock between the tailhousing and the front after you drop it in.

It CAN fall out and then be loose in the case.

I am not trying to start chit or say it was not damaged.......I just hate to see a big misunderstanding turn into more. It really looks like metal went through it and the bearings look good.

·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never had the trany apart to begin with... that rtv wasnt from me that was the way i had goten it... When i got the trans home we took off the top shifter plate because it was missing the rubber boot... thats when we seen all the rust. When we seen the rust we filled it with atf, sea foam, and lucas and let it sit for about a week then drained it all back out. Filled it up with 6 quarts of mecron when we reinstaled it like ford says too. When my trans mech pulled it apart he may have cleane it up some but he was the one who said that the bearings were siezed.. him and his dad own a trans shop and have been in the buisness for a long time so i definatley trust his word. He priced out what it would cost to fix the trans and it was in the $1800 plus price range.... woaaaaa thats just for parts... so ive got a line on another trans im going to look at next weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts