Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a zf6 2wd 7.3 just got a parts truck same year but its an 250 gasser I'm converting my truck to 4wd I have all the pieces except the trans now I know you can convert an nv4500 from 2wd to 4wd no problem is that possible to do with my zf6 and is it the same tcase as the zf5 that's in the gasser?:bowfast:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I have a zf6 2wd 7.3 just got a parts truck same year but its an 250 gasser I'm converting my truck to 4wd I have all the pieces except the trans now I know you can convert an nv4500 from 2wd to 4wd no problem is that possible to do with my zf6 and is it the same tcase as the zf5 that's in the gasser?:bowfast:
No. ZF5 and ZF 6 use different cases because the ZF6 output shaft is bigger and the bolt pattern is bigger. ALso a ZF6 uses a different t-case than a 4R100 trans(difference spline count or shaft diameter). You NEED a T-case from a ZF6 only. IIRC it is a NP271 for a manual shift t-case and a NV273 for the electric shift t-case

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so that answers the tcase part what about converting it to 4wd can I change the main shaft and rear housing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody out there??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up we go

·
Registered
85 Posts
You DO NOT need a whole new transfercase! You can just swap the transfercase input shaft. Its simple and cheaper..unless you are getting good deal on a transfercase.
Thanks,
Deo

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
You DO NOT need a whole new transfercase! You can just swap the transfercase input shaft. Its simple and cheaper..unless you are getting good deal on a transfercase.
Thanks,
Deo
Thanks for bringing up a thread from 6 months ago:doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts