Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 7.3l and am about to replace the clutch with a dual disk south bend. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I have to change the input shaft also if there's anything in the zf5 transmission that's known to wear out under higher horsepower

·
Registered
290 Posts
The stock input shaft should be fine. They dont make an upgrade unit.

Internally they are very strong units. If it shifts, fine, run it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I was also trying to find a fitting for a temp gauge for the tranny but its metric and cannot find one anywhere do u know anyone that makes one

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You would need to weld a bung on one of the PTO cover plates for a temp sender. I had a very nice billet PTO cover made by FabCraft Metalworks that had the prts in it for a sending unit, but I don't think they are sold anymore. The ZF trannies do get hot under load, but there's not much you can do about it unless you want to add an external cooler and pump setup (not cheap as the Mocal, Weldon, or Tilton pumps are expensive ... not to mention lines, cooler, temp switch, and fittings). Cheers!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It would only work (well) if the fluid level is high enough for the temp sender to be immersed in the fluid. Generally the level is level with the bottom of the fill plug hole. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I don't know if the extra 1/2 quart (4 quarts total) is going to immerse the proble in that instance. I'd probably be comfortable (in fact I did it without issue) using the 4 quarts through the shifter hole, but I can't say what would happen overfilling past that. Cheers!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I had a very nice billet PTO cover made by FabCraft Metalworks that had the prts in it for a sending unit, but I don't think they are sold anymore.
They still make them. I just got off the phone with them Very nice people. They are about $60

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Brad, that's good to know! They are very nice pieces and have multiple ports (different sizes, 1/8 and 1/2 NPT I think), so they would be perfect for someone wishing to plumb in the pump/cooler as well as a temp sender. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Here it is: Fabcraft Metalworks
You'll probably have to call them on the billet PTO covers. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Right off the home page (link above): FABCRAFT METAL WORKS (800) 208-8242
Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts