Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've established that a ZF5 (S42?) from an earlier 7.3 will bolt to my truck via info here, and that I need to use a PSD flywheel and clutch. Is everything else gonna match up if I do that?

Secondly, anybody here using a Valair clutch/Flywheel? Or should I stick with the better known Southbend? Probably gonna get a 450HP+ just to have it out of the way and not have to drop the trans again(man I hate doing that).

Are Auto/Manual T-Cases different? Not a big deal, but mines (auto) better than the one coming with the stick.

I've got a parts truck that blew its IDI that will be sitting right next to it, so I have pedal, master slave, all that jazz.

I've heard that the Auto PCM will work with a stick, but is there any wiring I need to change to get it to, namely in the column? Also, am I gonna have to just leave it without the clutch-start thing? Not a big deal here, just wondering.

Sorry for the long post, any info will be greatly appreciated, prolly be swapping it in by July if I can get it all worked out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Either clutch will work fine for you. I have used both. The t-case will bolt right up and work fine. For the PCM i would get it reprogrammed for a stick or buy a used one off a stick.

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either clutch will work fine for you. I have used both. The t-case will bolt right up and work fine. For the PCM i would get it reprogrammed for a stick or buy a used one off a stick.
yeah, prolly just get it burnt for a stick unless I find a manual PCM for cheaps, gotta get one anyway, cut some money out for other things that way.

·
Inmate #1
418 Posts
I've used nothing but Valair. They are great clutches, and have great customer service. PM me and I can hook you up on the price too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can leave your pcm alone and have your chip flashed to manual pcm code. The throttle is too touchy without changing the pcm or having the chip flashed.

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much you want for it? Kinda leaning towards it might be easier to just get a manual PCM and wiring harness.

The other thing I didn't think of, is the tach, wheres the pickup for that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts