Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Zf5 from a guy on craigslist who said it worked fine, but there is something wrong with it. When I try to move the shifter over to the left like when going into 1st or 2nd it sometimes makes a sorta cracking noise and then is impossible to get into 1st or 2nd without going into another gear or letting the clutch out a little. It's def not the clutch pedal bushings, cuz it was doing this when I had it out of the truck. Once it is in gear though it works fine. Oh and also when the truck is running and I leave the clutch out in neutral the trans makes a horrible constant clanking noise and vibrates real bad. I can feel the vibrating up through the shift rod. I found a bunch of other posts that say this is due to me having a solid flywheel so I don't know what to think about that.

I don't know much about the inner workings of this trans, so does anyone have any idea where to start for trouble shooting this thing?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Me thinks it needs a rebuild.
You could try draining whatever crap fluid someone put in there, and put the correct stuff in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had no fluid in it. I put new trans oil in it. It has brand new slave and master cylinder with new clutch fork and release bearing.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
New trans oil? What exactly did you put in?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Rookie diesel tech
103 Posts
if it had no fluid in it then your synchros are probably shot are almost shot.

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it had no fluid in it then your synchros are probably shot are almost shot.
I am assuming the guy I got it from didn't use it drained. He said he was going to put it in his one truck he had that was apart, but didn't have the time. So I would think he probably drained the fluid after taking it out of whatever truck he got it from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts