Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Zf5-42 from 460 interchange

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Randy4614 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone.

I’m in the middle of a trans rebuild in a Zf5-42 from a 7.3 and the mainshaft is shot.

I have a Transmission from a ZF5-42 that came from a f250 with the 460.

does anyone know if they will interchange before I take another transmission apart.

#5 ·
Which shaft are you talking about ? There is the input shaft , which is different between a gas and diesel. And there is the main shaft that all the gears are on, which I do believe is interchangeable. Sometimes different parts get called different names by people.

#9 ·
Go o to Mack's or midwest trans and compare part numbers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Randy4614
#11 ·
well since my mainshaft, 3rd gear and reverse gear were smoked I had to make some bs work.
According to just about everyone they don’t interchange.
I found online that the mainshaft is identical. And the countershaft is even the same length.

so being as I was running out of time and money and needed my truck running asap.
I stuffed the internals Of a Zf5-42 460 wide ratio trans Into my diesel case.

I know the main shaft is 1/8” shorter but it still engages the clutch and pilot bearing. I put the Preload shims on the backside of the case to make sure the shorter input shaft would engage the Clutch as much as possible. Put the bearings I had for my original rebuild on the 460 internals. Perfect fit. hell, even the synchros for my diesel rebuild kit fit the 460 internals.

put it all together and stabbed it. Driver beautifully. Until I made it home and see a big ass pub or underneath. Input seal leaking. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

got drunk. Bet myself I couldn’t pull it in under an hour. Lol had it drained and on the ground in 57 minutes with no power tools. Damned things had died installing it earlier and I forgot to charge them lol.

pulled it apart.... again and found the seal that was in my previous rebuild kit was too big, even though the sealing surface on both input shafts are the same. Even put a Mic on them to check. The od of the seal was correct but ID didn’t even touch the shaft.

found the correct seal and new detent plugs locally (okc) and put her back together.

I drove it all day. And she drives like a dream. 1st gear is definitely a granny gear. It’s easy to just start in 2nd and it shifts easily all the way to 5th. The only issue I’ve found, is downshifting into 2nd can be a little fucky. She doesn’t always want to stay in gear.

but I only need her to make it a few months until I can afford a new one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.