Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
Need comments on this notion. Periodically tow moderate weight in some steeper terrain here in B.C. Western Canada. Have the bits to install a temp probe. How hot is too hot for the ZF-5? I know they are a robust tranny and the ZF-6 comes from factory with a cooler. So the plan is to install on drivers side (probe) inspection plate using a brass bulk head fitting.

Got me thinking what if I install two more bulkhead fitting one on each side (in inspection plates). Then run from say drivers side using 5/16 rated hose to cooler in front bumper then on return through spin on filter then through SD 7.3 fuel pump then to passenger side inspection plate. When the gauge indicates hotter temps, flick the switch....

Thing is I have all the parts kickin around in the shop, including true cool tranny cooler (even has a puller fan on it and fits inside stock bumper).

Appreciate any feed back.
j

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Not sure a fuel pump would handle it (both temp and viscosity). I could get my ZF-5 up to 250F when I owned my 94. Here's some stuff I wrote a long time ago regarding a cooler and pump:
You can put an external pump on the ZF-5, but it won't be a cheap endeavor! I thought about it on my 94. You will need to modify the PTO covers for inlet/outlet ports (or find a couple of Fabcraft Metalworks billet covers that have the ports), get a pump (Weldon 9200-A, Tilton 40-525, or Mocal 17-522HT ... $200-$400, get one with Viton seals), Temperature Switch (don't want to pump when its below temp), decent stacked plate Cooler (I don't think it needs to be huge either), and of course all the fittings and lines. The pumps are usually around 0.5-2.0 GPM.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
THAT is a cool idea. No pun intended.

I agree with Mr Feeley, not too confident that a SD pump would like the temp. Viscosity is a definite maybe, hot ATF is pretty thin.

Something else to consider, is making a pick up tube of some sort for the suction side, to get it closer to the bottom than a bulk head fitting. Wouldn't take much as the covers are pretty low anyway.

Just a thought.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs Fellas. I use Redline MTL and it’s pretty thin fluid, even cold. Not sure what the temp drop would be after running it through the cooler in front bumper, in the Summer gets warm here as high as 100 F. In terms of SD E fuel pump, I’m thinking fuel must get pretty warm, when ambient is 100 F and the return from the engine warms it even more, especially when tank gets low on fuel? Thinking the call is to put the filter between (in return circuit) between tranny and pump, then if pump piles up least we’ll catch the bits... if any. The bulk head fittings I’m thinking of using have 1/8” NPT threats in each side of the head. So if there was room you could install a hard line into the bottom of the tranny case from the inside threads on the bulkhead fitting. My only concern it would have to be firmly secured so as to not get caught up in the gear set and/or vibrate loose. I think initially might just hook up a “keyed on” switch and watch the gauge and when fluid get warm flick it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts