Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
2000 F350
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a trans built and installed in my truck from a reputable builder mentioned all the time. 50k mi on this trans and IMO the converter is failing. I am passed their written warranty based on years, but under their mileage. I have a stock injectored truck with a dp chip and tn turbo, it's nothing special. 25k mi was just commuting the rest was mixed driving/towing at about 20k. The whole reason I paid $$$$ for a built trans was so this didn't happen... what's your take? Is it on me to eat the cost of another trans or approach the builder? I'm torn on how to proceed... mostly because I'm f'n broke!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just buy a new converter if that's what's wrong

If you're out of warrenty than its on you.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but that's how it works.

·
Administrator
33,065 Posts
I tend to agree
but a civil conversation won't hurt ,, maybe get a converter at cost .. maybe you mis diagnosed ??

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Talking to us won't do a bit of good, talk to the vendor. If it's a John Wood or BTS tranny I would think they would work something out with you. Both builders have extreme confidence in their products and would surely be interested in finding what went wrong.

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
2000 F350
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talking to us won't do a bit of good
I understand. I'm not here to bash the vendor and get results from whinning on a forum. I was just curious how others felt about it.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
I understand. I'm not here to bash the vendor and get results from whinning on a forum. I was just curious how others felt about it.
Thats pretty bad for the mods your truck has. Your talking 300-330hp.

But yet if its out of warranty then thats not there fault. With the little mods your truck has I would have just had certified transmission build it.

If it is a big trans builder for 4r100s the torque converter they used should be rebuild able.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
How did you diagnose the converter??

·
Braaaaaaaaaaaap
2000 F350
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My right foot has 204k mi of experience with this truck. Plus I have a scanner and I can see when the TC is locked/un-locked. When the TC is un-locked it shoots the temp up quickly in ANY gear. It shudders at slow speed/high load and generally has the slip/bang feeling on lockup. When the TC is locked in ANY gear, there is very little temp change. Towing really exagerates everything, obviously.

It's been used for what it was meant for... towing, but it's not my toy or used for competition like alot of trucks around here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts