Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Your professional opinions, please!

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Jgman141 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I currently have a semi built lb7 duramax, Its no slouch. Some info about the dmax. It has an ats 4000, upgraded injectors, 4" exhaust EFI Live by Kory Willis (max effort tune is somewhere around 600hp 1000plusftlbs) I love my duramax but I hate how my transfercase is about 2grand (just rebuilt it) and how gm decided it didnt need a solid front axle. So here is my predicament. There is a guy on craigslist that wants to trade for his 6.0 king ranch. I will attach a link, please tell me what you think.

I love my chevy because of its reliability and brute power, and I consistently get 20-21mpg empty in the mountains. But I want a Ford for the better interior, the solid front axle and, I personally love the way the sound. I know I will probably be taking a step down in performance, and I guess Im okay with that as long as it is still a strong towing machine and has decent economy better then 18mpg hwy.

What are your guy's and gals thoughts??

trade or sale clean 04 ford f-350 kingranch crew cab long box

I am currently working out a deal with him and we are both interested in the trade, but I know the dmax really well, but the powerstroke is a new world to me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a ford guy to the bone and unless something major changes never buy a Chevy that being said keep your d-max. Other than the front axles it sounds like you have eliminated many of the weak points and can do a SAS for less than the difference in value of the trucks. To get to the 600hp mark in the ford it's gonna take you a good chunk of change. If he threw in 4-6k it might be worth it but do not know the condition of your truck or it's specifics to make a completly accurate call.

#3 ·
Thank you for your opinion Deadringer. I love my truck, but at the same time, I think I want something different as well, I went and drove the truck this evening, and while it was pretty much stock, and no where near as much power, it was still fun to drive, I was actually up in the air, unlike my duramax which rides like a caddy.

Any others want to share their thoughts? Im not neccisarily trying to build the PS into a 600hp truck to replace mine. I just want it to be able to tow, and do ok mileage wise on the highway. I know some PS get 19-21mpg HW and some get 14-15...Its just a new world to me. :postwhore2:

#4 ·
I get 14.5 mpg with 4.10s on my dually it 2wd, it tows like a beast I've had 3 dmax's I'll keep my ford... It rides like a tank cause that's what it is. With 3.73's and the right tune/driver you can probably get 18/19. You can fix all the 6.0 issues for around 3k if the trade is worth it to you that's all that matters. I promise you won't miss that dmax when you get a trailer behind you. Sct, innovative extreme tow w/ turbo brake is the $hit! Good luck on your deal

#5 ·
Depends on your needs. If you already have the built engine, Trans and now transfer case, SAS on a Dmax will run 7-10K to do correctly. By that I mean, making sure abs, brakes,ect all work correctly, with not dash lights ect. Yes, it can be done cheaper, not what I call correct.

That being said, as you mentioned, Superduty already has the stronger axles and transfer case. Trans is about even with the allison(My opinion, yes, Ive had both) but to make the HP you have now will be expensive as the 6.0 while it responds well to mods, it usually does not make the same power as a Dmax.

Now, I personally have been a chevy guy my whole life(I'll be 40 in 2 weeks), have had chevy 6.2, 6.5's, and several Dmax's(02, 07, and 11) and while the engine/trans have been GREAT, the rest of the trucks are NOT heavy duty enough..... tranfer case, IFS, steering, hubs, I dare say even frames......... I was tired of it. Traded in my 2011 and bought an 06 F350 last November, and honestly love it...... I hate it says Ford on the front, but it is a great truck. I have owned/built enough vehicles to know THEY ALL BREAK, but when comparing what the 6.0 was going to need to make a bulletproof truck i bought it over another chevy.

Sorry for the long winded post, and this is just my $.02.... take it with a grain of salt and do what's best for you at this time. Not saying you may not have some issues with the KR, but looks like most of the "6.0 problems" have been addressed with that particular truck

#6 ·
I have a 2004 F-250 crew cab lariat so I have the 6.0 and I love it. I am a Ford man so I'm going to say do it, I think you will love the truck. The 6.0 is great for towing too, you cant even tell the trailers back there. I bought mine a year and a half ago stock with 135,000 miles on it, it now has 170,000 and it runs great. I have had to put one injector in it, and I also did an EGR delete, a 5" straight pipe exhaust, and a SCT tuner on it. I get around 17-18 MPG highway. The biggest thing you need to do its head studs. If your going to tune the truck you need to put head studs on it if your going to tune it for power. Head studs cost around $1,100 for a good kit with gaskets and everything plus installation. I don't have mine studded yet but I don't turn it up and get on it, I have it tuned for the mileage. I think either way if you get the ford you will like it, its a very fun truck and the interior is second to none in the king ranch.

#8 ·
Wow guys! Thanks for all of the support! I
Have not 100% made up my mind but right now I am
Seriously leaning towards trading. While my Duramax is a great rig, I think in the long run the ford will be a better rig for working and off road locations (nothing hard core, just getting to camp sites an such). The big thing for Le was hearing from y'all about their towing ability. I'm glad to hear they do so well!

#10 ·
cool stuff. Here are a few quick pics I have of my dmax, I dont worry about keeping it clean in the winter, but with 35's on and a good wash, she cleans up pretty good :)

#11 ·
Keep the dirty max. Unless you find a 6.0 that has already had studs, egr delete, new oil cooler and new injectors, etc... if that stuff hasn't been done on a 6 0, rest assured, you're going to have to replace it soon. For the money you would have to dump into a 6.0 to make it reliable, you could swap in a solid front axke in your truck, and still have play money.

#15 ·
It has everything done but the head studs, and the maintenance has all been performed by reputable PSD shops as well.

#17 ·
Still wouldn't do it. Unless you want to pay the 3-5k to do the studs.

You know your going to miss the power that the dmax is putting out, so you will do stuff to the 6.0 and next thing you know pop go the heads.

You can find plenty of guys willing to trade ford 6.0 with studs and all for a dmax.

It seems to me that you have made your decision because you are trying to convince people you don't even know that are telling you "dont do it". If you were my best friend I would say don't do it, but its your life, your choices. I love my 6.0 it doesn't have studs and I drive the #### out of it with tuner on race for over a year now, but I do expect that the heads will pop soon.

#19 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your opinion. I appreciate it. I understand your point.

#18 ·
I have an 04 without head studs and i run mine with a tuner sometimes on performance but mainly on the low setting. I have a friend who has a 07 duramax with a programmer, 5in exhaust, and a cold air intake and he barley beats me. Honestly I am a ford guy but I have had a chevy. In my opinion a ford pulls alot better and I like the interiors alot better than chevy. The other thing is the chevys have glass front ends. Ive hooked my 6.0 up to my buddys chevy and pulled it backward and he broke both tierods. The truck you are looking at is a good looking truck and it sounds like its been taken care of, if I was you I would do it. Even if the ford is a little slower, so what? You arent going to know a difference unless you are using it for a race truck, if your going to use it for a daily driver or a work truck and play around with it sometimes, the ford is the way to go. It pulls better than a chevy and you can still play around with it and get alot of power out of it and fords are also in my opinion better looking trucks.

#20 ·
Do you know what kind of "tuner" he has, if it is efi live and he barely beats you, I think something might be wrong with his truck! :blah: But I agree the PS are good looking trucks, and IMHO their interiors are much nicer and thought out over the chevy. Honestly I cant stand that Chevy dropped the ball and decided their trucks needed an IFS system up front, that really, really, really bothers me. Mostly because I have spent alot of time and money fixing all of it, and knowing that if I run larger tires I will have to be doing the same thing all over again.

#22 ·
Wyo, that is around the cost for a reputable shop to do the work. I did mine for around a grand also, but thats doing it myself...

#25 ·
I get that, I just didn't want this guy to think it's going to cost that much because it really doesn't have to. You can do a proper job in your driveway, for a fraction that's just my .02

#26 ·
Gotcha!
It really isnt too bad. And in all honesty, even if I had another brand, I would still want that SOB studded.

#27 ·
Off topic but I'm a fan of doing the studs on anything I own with a turbo, or nitrous. But I am having a hard time tracking down studs for my ride-a-mower.

#28 ·
But I am having a hard time tracking down studs for my ride-a-mower.
LOLLOLLOL

Sent from my Smart Car

#29 ·
I do all of my own work, so I would agree with you guys, I have already priced kits ;)

#31 ·
Keep your Chevy... unless you like to wrench and spend money. I bought my 04 6.0 brand new. Blew a head gasket at 50k witch was under warranty. New ficm.oil cooler. Egr deleted. Ran for about 5k now at 96k miles just replaced can and crank sensor along with ICP sensor so yeah 3000 dollars is about right to at least keep in mind.p.s. my truck has been dead in the driveway for three months. Got to love your fords and your wrenches

#32 ·
^ Only 1 post and praising Chevy... sounds suspicious. :poke:

Sent from my Smart Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.