Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the local guys here has a 2008 6.4 bone stock but has every option known to man. A couple of weeks ago it went down started spitting and sputtering truck has 50,000 miles on it so he took it to the local ford dealer ship. So since his truck is down he borrows his dads truck which is a twin to his look like book ends sitting in the drive. His dads truck only has about 2000 miles on it practilly still new. So he goes to the gas station where they always fill up and puts fuel in his dads truck. well after about an hour of driving it to starts running kinda funny but not as bad as his. So he stops calls the wrecker and has it towed to the dealler ship. Well a couple days later ford says they have his aswell as his dads truck back together they went through and replaced every part that fuel touches on his truck $8300 and a few things on his dads $3800 apparently the place he has been getting fuel at got some water.
The kicker is ford says they will not cover the warrenty nad all the work has already been done said when they tested the fuel it was over 20% water "to bad so sorry."
So they went to gas station and are now bttling with them over this.

O and i also forgot to add that the loner truck that they recieved that was being driven by his dad at this time that was filled at the same fuel station the same time as his dads truck also went down and left them with a total of over $18000 all this his dads truck and loner truck were filled before they could catch on to the cause.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
HO-LY CRAP!

Moral of the story.

Buy your fuel at a select few reputable places and stick with them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah these guys own a saw mill and have been buying and fueling at this place from the beginning.

·
Darwin was right
50 Posts
So in 2-3 days the same dealer did major repairs to both vehicles, to the tune of $12,000, and never even called to get the green light? Thats real hard to believe. :eek:

·
Registered
193 Posts
:whs:
Even dealer that are at the highest level of warranty approval status have to get proir approval to replace injectors and high pressure fuel pumps on 6.4.
Now ford is really cracking down on pumps that are damaged from water in the fuel. If a dealer submits for prior approval for a high pressure pump and more than 4 injectors than a inspector must come out and take a fuel sample. I have had engine that the high pressure pump locked up due to water in the fuel. It stripped the cam gear and bent most of the valves and damaged all piston. The inspector took a fuel sample and voided the engine warranty said it was over 25% water.

·
Kilroy was here
128 Posts
I guess we should stop putting fuel in these trucks, you never know where you might get water in the fuel from. I could park it out front and plant flowers in it, I suppose.

Or, where can you get water-in-fuel insurance from?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok sorry i dont know it down to the exact time period but i didn't get it down to the q i just got the hight lights of the story lol. the fuel was bought within a few days of each other But this is no bs the warrenties will not cover water in the fuel to this amount.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
if the dealer actually did all this work without getting approval, than you would have a valid claim to get your truck back without paying the bill,,,,,, but they usually have themselves covered. makes me think these trucks don't have water/fuel separators where they should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, what can we do to make sure this doesn't happen? I mean, how do I know where not to get fuel from? Is there a good add on separator that might help?

I frequently fill up at Walmart, what’s up with that:(?

How much water much water should I expect (under normal conditions) when draining the separator?

Sorry for so many questions, but this spooks me.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I would think with 20% water the light would have come on, mine came on once with hardly any water in the system.... but i do know ALL to well about ford and fuel system warranty, mine was full of sand and they didnt wanna take care of it either, to the tune of 8300 bucks, they wanted my insurance to pay it :eek:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Its not so much the actual company you are buying the fuel from, its the station itself. there are very expensive systems that alert the station when there is excessive water in/on the tank. I guess they just turn off the alarm and hope they dont get an inspection.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts