Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,164 Posts
OUCH!

I can't zoom in enough ...... is that an aftermarket filter in a stock cap?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And it was 11 qts low on oil. Actually, The guys lucky it didn't start, all though there's practically no way it was going to.

This is jiffy lubes handy work, in case you were wondering. Wouldn't be the first time I've replaced an engine on jiffy lubes dime. Actually it would be the fourth.

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Yap the giant puddle of oil under the truck is usually a dead give away why it wont start.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,164 Posts
You are a good man Jamie! Thanks for posting!

What year is the truck?

I can't prove it, but IMO trying to pump "nothing" with the HPOP is hard on it!

·
Project Shamu
2,721 Posts
I always tell my friends, you can never starve a 7.3 or 6.0 of oil! She just flat out wont run!

I haven't seen anything like that, but I have seen Fram and Purolator (canister filters) explode and implode (crush in on themselves). I had a STP filter explode on me in my Titan that I own, thankfully it was during the oil change and not driving down the road!

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always tell my friends, you can never starve a 7.3 or 6.0 of oil! She just flat out wont run!

I haven't seen anything like that, but I have seen Fram and Purolator (canister filters) explode and implode (crush in on themselves). I had a STP filter explode on me in my Titan that I own, thankfully it was during the oil change and not driving down the road!
I've seen one balloon up before, never seen one blow up though. usually that means a pressure valve is stuck.

Mark and I have butt heads on filters quite a bit. Saw this one and figured I'd throw him a bone.

Now, that's not to say it's the filters fault, cuz it's not.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
Yap the giant puddle of oil under the truck is usually a dead give away why it wont start.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Project Shamu
2,721 Posts
My god, way too much time. I barely have time to tie my shoes let alone do that!

And yet I'm on here more often than not... hmm

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plot thickens. Interesting, i didn't realize the 03's had different standpipes until I took the filter off. Usually the rule is pretty simple, small cap, small filter. Big cap, big filter. Except for 03's apparently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,164 Posts
I am only familiar with the standpipe part #3C3Z-6C755-AA.

It is for all 6.0L F250, F350, F450, F550, and Excursion models and 2003-2010 years.

The E-series is different .......

Now if you are buying the housing too, then that is different (due to the fuel line tubing).

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am only familiar with the standpipe part #3C3Z-6C755-AA.

It is for all 6.0L F250, F350, F450, F550, and Excursion models and 2003-2010 years.

The E-series is different .......

Now if you are buying the housing too, then that is different (due to the fuel line tubing).
Me too. I'd never seen that kind of standpipe before. I'm guessing it's an 03 thing cuz I've never seen it, but this truck has it. Actually there's a lot of little subtle differences I'm noticing.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,164 Posts
I just don't buy it that the 03 is different. The part number is inherently an 03 number. Something else is going on there IMO (more aftermarket stuff maybe?).

Edit - the part number (57311) in your pic is a WIX part number. Hard to say what is going on with them. Maybe they are referencing an E-series.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,164 Posts
You know, the more I think about it, IF Wix is saying you need two different filters for an F-series 6.0L, depending on the filter standpipe ...... than maybe the issue IS the filter. Ford and International don't have different filters for different standpipes.

So, the Wix and Napa filters (model 57312) below are for all (according to their web site) 03-07 Ford F-series 6.0L's and for the 6.4L. They have the tall cap with the filter element.

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/57312.html

Then they sell the 57311 for the "short (non-spring loaded) standpipe" apparently in the 03 and 04 model years. I certainly wasn't aware of a change in 04 on the oil filter standpipe as stated earlier. I guess I need to do some research.

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/57311.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts