Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok specs are.. 97 f350 dually... 520,000 on od.. ran like a champ... nice and strong... untill....
driving down road and it died, like key shut off. cranked but no start.pulled home started reading here....changed the cps,checked fuses, checked and wiggled wires.
got a genisis scanner from work and verified:
rpms are working
fuel pressure is between 60 and 75
buzz test was good
could not find where to read hpop psi though.

i unhooked icp still no start.
new uvc gaskets and wires. new glow plugs and relay
removed idm, no water and cleaned pins .
hpop stays full.
all fluid levels are good
dont know what to do now
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!! please steer me in the right direction. this is my daily driver and my baby.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
HPOP pressure would be the ICP reading. CEL illuminated? Cheers!

·
Registered
236 Posts
how about the fuses in engine compartment?
Might want to check the tin nut on the IPR. If it fell off that is problem.
Could also be low battery voltage, bad battery connection. If below 10.5 volts while cranking it will not start

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, all fuses are good
batteries are good and charged...even have it hooked up to another truck just to help.
checked the "tin nut" its good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ICP needs to hit 500 psi to fire. You may have a leak in HPOP system and not making high pressure. The scanner should show what your ICP is when cranking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so... should i change the icp or just dive into the hpop.
if its the hpop where should i start?
this diesel stuff is all new to me thanks:bowfast:

·
Rookie Stroker
325 Posts
Make sure to change your ICP Pigtail when you change the ICP if its all mucked up & soaked in oil.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
have you checked for codes? I saw where there was no CEL, but no discussion of codes looked for and/or found... unless it was a fuse, it difficult to see that the motor would just quit and no codes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
something is not right. As said, must have codes stored! The ICP should default to 725 when ICP unplugged.
Are you sure you are reading codes for a 7.3 Powerstroke and reading ICP as it should be 725 when unplugged at ICP on front left head

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i said no codes it was at time of death.
i have "forced" several codes since.when i unplugged the icp and tried to start it it made the code come up. i get the code for the cps but that is because the engine doesnt start. and im correct on the values for the readings ive posted. my head hurts on trying to figure this out....anyone close to me wanna lend some hands on help???

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Need to start eliminating things and not going back. Continuity check your fuses again... especially the #22. Hell for grins, make sure your fuel heater is unplugged and replace the #22 fuse. check the injector driver fuse as well (I think its the #9 on my truck, but not sure about 96-97)

When a perfectly good running truck (as you described) 'just quits' and doesnt restart, I doubt its ICP unless the IPR signal just broke. Its got to be something electrical; I've seen a few trucks with IDM failures act just like that ( but they stored IDM codes).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fuses replaced,where fine but put new
no heater... removed 5 months ago
replaced idm with working one, no start. put mine in other truck, works.
only did it once but tried the no-no can and it fired. but died. wont stay running.
so now what....

·
Rookie Stroker
325 Posts
My guess is since you add (fuel) your "no-no can" and it fires is your problem is fuel supply related. Only takes 3 things to make an engine run ...... Fuel.... Fire (combustion) ......... Air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya i know the ol suck bang blow theory...
but in this case, its getting air... its getting fuel verified with gauge at the fuel port.. its the bang part that makes this difficult. should i just replace the sensor or regulator that is in the driver side head? I hate just throwing parts at it and spending [needed elswhere] money.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I would try cleaning the ICP connector and ICP with some brake cleaner to get the oil off and see if it is ideed leaking (or just replace the ICP since there shouldn't be oil in that connection anyway). Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check the wiring back...check the connector for the CPS, and the ICP. Clean up the connectors, and check the readings again with the scanner. It sounds electrical.

You said you only had 80psi ICP cranking?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts