Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a MY 2003 6.0. I have owned it for nearly 4 years and 60k miles. It just turned 250k. I keep my filters oil & fuel changed every 5k. Use Rotella and try to stay on top of my maintenance. Up to this point I have only had minor issues with the engine. A cam position sensor, when I bought it it had a bad FICM from a failed alternator from the PO. I had that repaired at FICM.com and it still works fine. The scenario is as follows. Going to work, starting to run rough so I turned around and took another vehicle to work. I checked it out with my Bosch scanner and it showed P0281 cylinder 7 contribution / balance. I have had an intermittent cylinder 4 contribution/ balance DTC that came up occasionally but never affected how the truck ran so I have ran some Hotshot Secret though on a few oil changes. Now after the code for #7 came up I put my Autel scanner on and did a balance test. It shows 5 & 7 both weak. I already had ordered a new injector harness since I suspected it was the problem with the #4 cylinder so I installed it and no change. It would start but barely and had little throttle response.
Next I tried the IPR adapter with shop air and pulled the valve covers expecting to find a HP oil leak. Nothing. So I put it back together and spent some more time with the scanner ( BTW I am still learning how to use it) so I did another balance test and found that it was basically the same except maybe now either 1 or 5 was showing up weak. I did pull the secondary fuel filter looking for air bubbles in the fuel suspecting that the seal on #7 had failed and was injecting combustion gas into the fuel rail. No bubbles while using starter wire on the battery post. So back to the scanner and I put in a couple things to monitor. FICM voltage all good and steady while cranking. IPR and IPC. It shows 300 psi actual and 1500 requested and today it won't start at all. So I am thinking high pressure oil pump. It is a big job and one I feel I am capable of. I run a shop out of my home and that is why I have the scanner. I don't know diesel engines that well and hate to throw parts at something unless I am certain of the diagnosis. BTW, the engine turns over fast and even so I don't think there is anything wrong with the cylinders or valve train.
My question for the group is whether there is something that I am missing in my troubleshooting? What do I need to replace besides the HP oil pump? Injectors? Or should I wait until after replacing the HP oil pump and do a balance test? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
First question is how long did you apply the shop air? Depending on a variety of factors, it could take some time to push oil out of the way to be able to hear the air, so I also like to get a visual on every injector to see if oil is being pushed out of the oil rail. If you're certain there's no HPO leak, then yeah, you probably have a bad HPOP. The 03/04 is known to go bad more often than the 05 and up. There are a bunch of places which rebuild HPOPs, but the Adrenaline is by far the best....and the cost is up there of course. lol I personally have bought two from Pensacola Diesel (one for mine and one for my ex's 250) and they have been ok so far. Mine has about six years and 75,000 miles on it. Hers is probably somewhere around five years and maybe 30,000. Even remans will fail eventually. The Adrenaline will probably last forever, but my personal feeling is it's tough to justify $1300 for something that I can get for 500-600 and you never know when it will fail. Yeah, it's a gamble. Each of us has to weigh the pros and cons and make our own choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First question is how long did you apply the shop air? Depending on a variety of factors, it could take some time to push oil out of the way to be able to hear the air, so I also like to get a visual on every injector to see if oil is being pushed out of the oil rail. If you're certain there's no HPO leak, then yeah, you probably have a bad HPOP. The 03/04 is known to go bad more often than the 05 and up. There are a bunch of places which rebuild HPOPs, but the Adrenaline is by far the best....and the cost is up there of course. lol I personally have bought two from Pensacola Diesel (one for mine and one for my ex's 250) and they have been ok so far. Mine has about six years and 75,000 miles on it. Hers is probably somewhere around five years and maybe 30,000. Even remans will fail eventually. The Adrenaline will probably last forever, but my personal feeling is it's tough to justify $1300 for something that I can get for 500-600 and you never know when it will fail. Yeah, it's a gamble. Each of us has to weigh the pros and cons and make our own choice.
I probably had the shop air connected for somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes. I understand that the oil has to be pushed out before you can hear a leak but I don't recall any specific time. My plan next is to make a tester with an ipr pigtail and apply 12vdc forcing the ipr closed and see if it makes pressure. That would rule out the harness. Then I plan on injecting a voltage into the ipc and see if that changes my pressure indication.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Good plan. Also, have you checked your RPMs while cranking? It's possible it just doesn't have enough spin to generate the needed pressure.....though that's not usually a problem with low RPM.

I know if you apply direct voltage to the IPR for too long it's possible to burn it out, so don't hold it for longer than 30 seconds. I believe that is the generally accepted safe time. And you should also probably push the plunger in and out while spraying it with some electrical safe cleaner to free up any debris which may cause sticking. I use anything small enough to fit in there which has a blunt tip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts