Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back ground info: About 3 months ago (truck running fine!) I went against my better judgement and got my oil changed at Walmart. They used 15W-40 oil which is pretty standard right? I supplied a WIX oil filter for them to use. When I got the truck back it was good to go, the next morning when i started it ( about 65-70 degrees out) it started with a slight lope and was shaking a bit. It continued this behavior for about 5-7 minutes until it was warmed up. After the warm up period it ran fine like it always did. As it has gotten colder it is getting harder and harder to start and keep running until it warms up. Along with the colder weather, the symptoms are the same but more severe, it takes about 5-15 seconds of cranking to get it started then it lopes and sounds as if it is missing and shakes like a beast until warm.

This morning it was about 30 degrees out and it took about 3-4 turns of the key and letting the glow plugs do their magic before I could even get it to fire on its own. It finally caught itself and idled rough as #### shaking about, and sounding like it was missing a lot. I can usually assist it in the warm up stage by revving it up to about 1000 rpm until it has gotten itself where it can sustain a good idle rpm. This morning there was no throttle response at all. I could floor the pedal and it didn’t change a thing, no increase in rpms. I looked at the tail pipes and they were PUMPING black smoke. This is unusual for my truck it never smokes even WOT on the road it wont pump smoke like some diesels. So I let it do its thing, it died twice, i kept I restarting it and it eventually warmed up on its own power and then ran fine.

I have already checked the FICM. I read 48.2V with key on engine off, 48V while cranking, and 48V while idling cold. I am considering thinner oil with winter approaching to see if it just didnt like the 15W-40 seeing how that is when the problem started. I am also doing the fuel filters this weekend to see if there are any changes from that. I am at a loss on what else it could be! Is it possible it was a complete coincidence that i got the oil changed and this problem started with something unrelated to oil? I have done HOURS of reading and have found nothing other than the quick answers everyone is giving in other posts: bad glow plugs, glow plug module, bad FICM regardless of good voltage, and various others but all posts ended with dead ends! No results noted and no solution to the problem at the end. I was going to post on those threads as to not "double post" on the same problem, but they were years old lol.

Truck details: 2003 6.0L 96,000 miles, crew cab, short bed, AFE intake, 4” MBRP turbo back no cat or muffler, 4.36 gears, 8in lift on 38’s, egt, tranny, boost pillar gauges.

I apologize for the length of the post but I wanted to include everything I could to help someone diagnose this issue if possible. I figured the site veterans wouldn’t mind reading a bit to get adequate info. I appreciate your time and any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Get that #### oil out, add some rev-x, put 5 w40 synthetic in it, stop being cheap about your truck because i gurantee it will cost you 10x more than what your saving now. If you are lucky you won't have caused any damage to your injectors in this process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROGER THAT! Honestly it wasn't about price it is what the owners manual recommends and what everyone told me should go in diesel. This is my first diesel so i was kind of relying on publications and word of mouth.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well like posted a full good Syn 5w40 will do the job and use ONLY Ford or racor filters on everything then if your problem stays the same in 500 miles get some Rev-X plus the wix or napa filters just will not work.
Start useing cetane boost in the fuel to keep the egr valve and turbo clean and working these trucks are not grocery getters they are made to work.
lot of guys get there filters here order 250$ and it is free shipping
Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

you can get your oil filters at Walmat MotorCraft 2016
If you are going to change fuel filters for the first time this may help the 4X4 has a driveshaft in the way just a little harder.
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/Diesel-Filters-Spec-Sheets/Motorcraft-6-0L-Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Reference-Guide.pdf
This will help to ease your pain shoud drain about 1-2 oz a month to check for water, water kills injectors.
DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
2 stroker

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I appreciate all the info and links! When it was running good it had a WIX filter. From what I have read all over people really like them. Why are you against them?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
It is VERY common for people to experience problems w/ WIX (and other aftermarket) filters.

Some are not the same dimensions (some are too short, some crush, some need adapter plates or special caps so they aren't compatible w/ the OEM filter next time, some do not filter as well, etc.)

WIX is one of the worst ones as far as not fitting properly. ALL of the 6.0L forums have gone over this MULTIPLE times, so a search will certainly keep you busy. They will all say the same thing - stay OEM (Motorcraft, Racor, or International).

One of the key issues is if you do not get a good seal on the filter drain valve (a proper filter will compress and close it when it is installed), you will have problems.

Also - You might want to check your ICP sensor for leaks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used WIX filters for over a year and did not have any problems whatsoever, i buy my filters by the case on ebay and everyone was out of the Motorcraft ones that time. I have since switched back to Motorcraft again and will stay with them as long as stock is available next time i need them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yea seems like you may have a stiction issue with the injectors. Change your oil put in a good synthetic and add 2 bottles of rev x. There is rev x on my webstore at holderdownperformance.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
So yall would recommend using 5W40 instead of 15W40? I have the same problem with mine. Just ordered the REV-X today and oil tomorrow so i wanted to double check.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used WIX filters for over a year and did not have any problems whatsoever, i buy my filters by the case on ebay and everyone was out of the Motorcraft ones that time. I have since switched back to Motorcraft again and will stay with them as long as stock is available next time i need them. Just my 2 cents.
If you put the craapy wix filter next to a motorcraft filter, you never use the wix again. You have to realize oil filter in a 6.0L does more then just filter oil. It MUST be the correct size to close the ports at the bottom of the housing. if the ports do NOT get closed by the filter. You will NOT be filtering your oil. IT will bypass the filter!!!! STOP using the WRONG filters, only use Motorcraft!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I did the oil change yesterday with 5W-40 mobil1 synthetic for turbo diesels. I sold the AutoZone out of that completely lol. The guy asked me why i need so much and I told him that its an F250 and he said he is calling BS that it uses 15 quarts. I told him to look it up on his computer an he just stared at it and appologized lol.

It started WAY better yesterday but it was also warmer yesterday and today (about 60 degrees) so i havent been able to put it to the test in the cold. It was stated above I should wait 500 miles or so to see if the problem mellows out. As of yesterday and today it still has a bit of a "lope" to it. It is very noticeable while warming up and after it warms up if i really listen i can still hear it and feel it in the shake of the truck a little bit when it idles. I think i will purchase the REV X and hope it didn't do any injector damage or anything.

The wix filter I bought was a filter that comes with a cap and is one piece. Is this normal or do most ford filters use the stock cap? When I bought the truck and changed the oil the first time it took me a bit to figure out what was going on because the filter I bought for it didn't fit the cap because the cap was from the wix filter which was all one piece. So if I go back to the ford filters I will need the filter and a new stock cap correct?

Thanks for all the help guys. I am quickly learning that these are not regular automobiles and require a much higher level of care and consideration that "normal" gasoline engines do not. I appreciate all of your time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please do not be one of those one post wonders lol. If you see any noticeable changes or not for that matter please let me know! I will do the same respect. I hate those dead end threads where it seems like your so close to a solution and you go to click the next page button only to reveal there is no next page...

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the hard start when I bought my truck last spring, but it was more of an oil leak. After I fixed the leak I still had injectors missing so I got some juice and BINGO, cleared up. Couldn't tell you how long it took though, less than 1,000 miles. You might start looking for deals and coupons on oil. I buy as much as I can whenever it's on sale.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Please do not be one of those one post wonders lol. If you see any noticeable changes or not for that matter please let me know! I will do the same respect. I hate those dead end threads where it seems like your so close to a solution and you go to click the next page button only to reveal there is no next page...

Thanks a lot!
Don't worry I'll let you know what happens as soon as I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like I explained earlier about the WIX filter coming attached with a cap, it took walmart 5 hours going to every ford dealer trying to find the right one and they said they had never seen anything like it lol. The "tech" at Walmart suggested that since it is so heavily modded already (a lift, tires, rims, intake , and exhaust is heavily modded lol) he suggested the idea of contacting the original owner and asking him if he did an engine swap!!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?? I replied. So i got up on the truck and showed him the sticker on the engine that clearly states "6.0L international engine co." He said he didnt know what to tell me. Those are some incredible people there.

Is Juice another oil additive similar to REV X?

I will definately look for deals on GOOD oil from here on out, and again I appreciate all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts