Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EGR went out awhile ago. Did the delete, oil cooler, etc. Hoped I wouldn't have to do head gaskets, decided to take a chance. Thought I was lucky, but wasn't - still puking. Parked it in the shop, drained everything, and months passed.

Got the time (and money) to tear it down. Got the heads off, and see that there's rusty gunk in the water jackets of the heads - and the block. Apparently there was separation of the gold antifreeze or enough "water" content left that it's been rusting over time. When I popped the block plugs before removing the heads, the rusty crap ran out.

I am 100% certain that this moisture and rust is limited to the block and heads, and is due to it sitting for months. But I know that I can't just slap head gaskets and studs on, and put it back together as-is; all that crap will circulate and plug the oil cooler if I try to flush it. That is - unless someone has any ideas or suggestions. Really don't want to dump $5k into a 10 year old truck with 110k on it, since they're not worth much. But it's looking like yanking the motor, disassembling, and having it tanked is about my only choice to clean that crap out.

Opinions? Advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd say you would be fine with just flushing it. Yes you do have the chance of the oil cooler failing. But I've seen a lot worse be put back together after a case of brake cleaner in all the holes and it work out perfectly fine

·
mech 1
288 Posts
you could try pour diesel in the water jackets to flush it some but it will more than likely be fine when fire it back up flush it two or three time with plain water bring it up to temp kill it drain fill repeat Its probbably a block made in mexico they have lot of salt in the castings and it does that had a chevy do that one time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts