Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Engine is being torn down now. Found cylinder 4's pushrods bent and rocket arm broken. Pulling both heads and sending them to machine shop. Hopefully it's just the pushrods and rocket arm from bouncing off the limiter with that bad tune. I will keep everyone posted. What's the likeliness that IDP will help with the cost since they KNEW that the tune was jacked up?????

Attachments

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the heads off. No piston damage!!!!! There are spots on the Pistons where you can see the valve has come in contact with the piston. There were three other 6.0's in the shop and we checked them, they all had spots too and they were stock engines.

Looks to me like the high rpm caused the lifter to "pop" as I call it, driving the piston of the lifter all the way up, thus bending the weak point (push rod) when the valve opens fully. Anyone agree?

Either way, my truck, when tuned with the "messed up tune", saw 3976 rpm max. Now I know that the red line is like 4200-4400, but could 4000 cause this???? If not. What the heck caused this to happen?

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Valves hitting a piston would bend pushrods and break a rocker. Would 4000rpms cause that? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hit 4000 with mine once on accident. That was before I tore it down, but I didn't have any markings on any piston. I did studs on a buddies truck that had valve marks on several Pistons, but he eventually confessed that he liked how it sounded at 4000+ rpms, so it probably lived there far too often.

Don't expect IDP...or any tuner for that... to pay for any damages. They'll say "you knew it hung up at redline on a WOT run, so why did you keep doing it"... If it were easily proven to be caused by a tuning issue, I'm sure one would help out in some way, but there is no way you can/could prove this was caused by that tune.

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Valves hitting a piston would bend pushrods and break a rocker. Would 4000rpms cause that? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hit 4000 with mine once on accident. That was before I tore it down, but I didn't have any markings on any piston. I did studs on a buddies truck that had valve marks on several Pistons, but he eventually confessed that he liked how it sounded at 4000+ rpms, so it probably lived there far too often.

Don't expect IDP...or any tuner for that... to pay for any damages. They'll say "you knew it hung up at redline on a WOT run, so why did you keep doing it"... If it were easily proven to be caused by a tuning issue, I'm sure one would help out in some way, but there is no way you can/could prove this was caused by that tune.

The crazy thing is, if you look at ANY 6.0 there are valve marks in the Pistons. The valve to piston clearance is so tight on these trucks from the factory. Also, the spots I save in my Pistons aren't "damaging" marks. it looks as it the valve just barely skims the surface of the piston. There's no metal on the piston that has been gnurled up, no valve damage, anything.

I know that the tune has caused this problem and I don't care what anyone tells me. I could understand if it was a truck that has beat up every time it's cranked but not mine. And honestly, what good is a tune/truck that you can't put the pedal to the floor??????? I believe that I was sent a completely different tune than I asked for. I asked for the Extreme street, and I believe I was sent something wayyyyyyy bigger

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
I have a 6.0 so I guess mine would be lumped in the "any 6.0" category you speak of. However, as I mentioned already, not a single one of my 8 Pistons has a valve mark on it. I had the heads off in my driveway, I did the work myself ...someone else didn't do my work, so I'm not taking someone else's word for it. I've seen at least 3 different trucks that had no marks not counting mine. So it's not "any" 6.0.....

Like I said, you can fight this all you want, but it's not going to get you anywhere. And if a much bigger tune than you asked for caused issues like this, they wouldn't keep selling it to people. Plenty of people run his race tune, which is a totally different animal than what you have...with no issues. Just sayin....I hate you had all these issues, but trying to get something out of IDP is a waste of time. If you honestly believe it was their fault, just deal with it, fix the truck, go with a different tuner, and roll on. Hounding them will only get your name drug through the mud with all the tuners, then none will be willing to write you one after that.

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I understand what you mean. I guess I'm just pissed off because I've always done what's best for my truck. I don't cut corners, or guess when it comes to a build. I am having the 6.4 pushrods installed to ease my mind on valve contact issues. It is what it is I guess, I'll just have to pay for it and move on.

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Truck is home. to the tune of 3700 dollars. All new push rods, new lifters and guides, new head gaskets, heads sent off and checked, didn't have to take anything off the heads thank the Lord. 190/30 injectors installed, regulated return, and new cab bushings while he was in there. I think I got lucky, even though I paid a pretty penny.

I did find on my CTS Insight that I hit 4005 peak RPM on my truck. I know it didn't stay there long but it did reach that high. I am setting my new tunes for a 3500 rpm limit and will see how it works out. Im not gonna go after Eric, hes a good guy and runs a great company. Although it sucks that I had to pay for the repair, its not HIS fault the tune was messed up. He cant control everyone associated with IDP. I am a little trigger shy with my skinny pedal and I don't really know how long it will take me to open her up after I find the tune I want.

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
for my emissions test it is required i hit 4200 RPM (stock rev limit) 3 times in a row and hold it for about two seconds each time

i have seen my pistons i had o valve kisses

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
He did the 16 lifters and 4 guides for the push rods. I'm
Not familiar with the lifters you speak of. Cab was off during this repair

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
IDK why you have valve marks and i don't doubt others have seen it search valve float

and I don't remember if you had 6.0 or the newer shorter 6.4 push rods when you had this failure

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Maybe I'm a dumba$$ but I don't see why the transmission would have to be removed to remove the rear lifters..... I've attached a pic of my truck and you can see the lifters. Don't they just pull out like every other lifter?

Attachments

·
local idiot
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Surely he did........ Dam*, now I'm gonna have to go ask him about it. I trust him, but I don't recall hearing anything about my transmission being slid back...

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
just for another angle

Over the years I have seen several engines with valves sticking in the cylinder head in the 7.3L, 6.0L and the 6.4L. All were low mileage trucks and two were brand new units in our stock lot. I recall one coming off the carrier popping out the intake.

This happens due to rust build up on the valve stem. Believe it not not the valve guides and stems run with very little lubrication. Trucks that sit stored for extended periods are susceptible to rust developing on exhaust valves that are open while the engine is running and the guide gums up, the valve begins to stick and eventually contacts the piston. I don't think I have ever heard of a diesel floating a valve.

In all of the cases I have seen there was only a mark in the piston and none required bottom end repairs. Additional damage has only been limited to broken or bent push rods and rocker arms. I have repaired all of them by using a transmission valve body hone to clean the valve guide and replacing the valve, push rod and rocker on the affected cylinders. All of my repairs have been successful and none have had repeat failures.

Sight unseen I can't comment on your engine specifically but I hope that I explained this well enough for you. Ford did issue a TSB on proper vehicle storage procedures to help reduce this from happening... among other things.
Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor

21 - 40 of 40 Posts