Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I couldent resist any longer and just got the xtreme race from eric because ill be running my truck for the first time in Eping NH this weekend in the 1/4 mile. Went out for a test drive and wow!:evil definatly shifts different....what the hell do you do to get used to it? But man did it wake the truck up even more.....now I just gotta hope it doesent blow before I do studs and egr deleteLOL

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What is the shifting doing exactly?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
this weekend????? are you coming up the following as well. October 4th is all truck nationals, should be lots of trucks up there and good times.

I have been running the xtreme race for at least 10k so far and love it. The shifting does take a bit of getting used to but its great once your used to it. Gotta roll into the throttle (becomes second nature) and when in OD on the highway and you need it to downshift or unlock the converter just a tap of the break will get it to stop lugging.

One thing I have been noticing, I love the midrange, but that seems to be the most times where I can notice puking or smell a hint of coolant. If I mash it and hold it wide open it seems to be ok. Not sure whats up with that if the cylinder pressures are just that much higher in the midrange than when wide open, but seems to be.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea when driving normal it shifts like it usually does but when at like half throttle or a little more its diferent....cant even really explain it but I think ill get used to it. And I didnt even know about next weekend being an event but yea Ill definatly try to make it up there. Im gonna run a couple times this saturday and ill probably head up the next weekend to. Jdc, I saw all you guys parked out in the pit last weekend in NJ but didnt see anyone around, but man is your truck nice! I was parked out in the parking lot like an idiot:doh:

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Yea when driving normal it shifts like it usually does but when at like half throttle or a little more its diferent....cant even really explain it but I think ill get used to it. And I didnt even know about next weekend being an event but yea Ill definatly try to make it up there. Im gonna run a couple times this saturday and ill probably head up the next weekend to. Jdc, I saw all you guys parked out in the pit last weekend in NJ but didnt see anyone around, but man is your truck nice! I was parked out in the parking lot like an idiot:doh:
Yea I think best way to describe the xtreme street shifting is it likes to hold gears both up and down, if you start trying to push it lightly at like 1/2 throttle it seems to build up good and then hang a bit. I just get the sense that it just wants to rip but your not giving it the throttle input to go, then it don't wanna downshift too much either with the converter locked, but a tap of the throttle unlocks it and can take off again (mostly a highway driving issue)

Sweet looking forward to how your truck does, and hopefully see ya at the truck nationals show. Its a good time and should be able to get in a bunch of passes and watch some good running trucks.

Thanks man, those Jersey guys were giving me some crap of all the bugs and dirt on it when I pulled in lol but was a good time. I heard from a few that they saw the trucks but never found us. I spent most of the time walking around the show but I am pretty sure there was always someone sitting behind Buff's truck (light blue crew cab long bed) Yea for Epping even if your not planning on racing just come into the pits anyways, I learned that lesson last year.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
You can email Eric and let him know what the trans is doing and he can get it taken care of for you. Mine felt a little funny to me when I first got the tune, like the converter would lock too early and then make a gear change right after. He emailed me another program and it shifted perfect after that. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ya im gonna go out for a quick run right now and see what she does, and if its still alittle off I ill just give eric an email.

Yea hopefully we can meet up next weekend at Epping...It sounds like a good show.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a lift in the read? Bigger blocks? My truck shifted funny and I looked and it was axle wrapping really bad. I am stock height too!
I didn't even think of that, I've got about 3 inches of lift in the front and 2.5 in the rear... Only reason I don't think that's the problem is because it was shifting really good on xtreme street...I emailed eric and just waiting for reply.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i will be at epping this friday night racing my truck. My buddy will bring his 7.3 and i will bring my 6.0. any one got a cat delete pipe kicking around,

·
Registered
34 Posts
you are probably just seeing the converter locking up thru the first three shifts ,that is to try to load the motor as much as possible and take advantage of the torque.that program isnt going to be very good to drive around in because it is pretty much just for going from point a to point b as fast as poss. , that is eric told me anyway .extreme street should shift really good and is what you want to be in when not at the track ,IMO, my street programming seems be very close to the race program just no conv. lockup

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
you are probably just seeing the converter locking up thru the first three shifts ,that is to try to load the motor as much as possible and take advantage of the torque.that program isnt going to be very good to drive around in because it is pretty much just for going from point a to point b as fast as poss. , that is eric told me anyway .extreme street should shift really good and is what you want to be in when not at the track ,IMO, my street programming seems be very close to the race program just no conv. lockup
:whs:you are feeling the converter lock up, but I like how it does that. I can keep my exhaust noise down because it doesn't wind up to 3K under moderate accel like x street does. It's gotta get better mileage too, being that the converter locks early and keeps the rpm's down...

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
:whs:you are feeling the converter lock up, but I like how it does that. I can keep my exhaust noise down because it doesn't wind up to 3K under moderate accel like x street does. It's gotta get better mileage too, being that the converter locks early and keeps the rpm's down...
exactly, I rarely have to get over 2k, maybe 2300rpm to keep up with traffic, even those rushing in the mornings to get to work, when stock tuning I have to wind out to 2,500 or more to get the same get up n go I get with 2k. 1/8th-1/4 throttle is all that is needed for "sane" driving, 1/2 or greater will pass just about anyone who isn't all out racing.

I've gotten a bunch of comments from coworkers and other average joe non car people about how loud my truck is, and it boggles my mind cause I know non of them have every heard it wound out beyond 2,000rpm LOL

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
exactly, I rarely have to get over 2k, maybe 2300rpm to keep up with traffic, even those rushing in the mornings to get to work, when stock tuning I have to wind out to 2,500 or more to get the same get up n go I get with 2k. 1/8th-1/4 throttle is all that is needed for "sane" driving, 1/2 or greater will pass just about anyone who isn't all out racing.

I've gotten a bunch of comments from coworkers and other average joe non car people about how loud my truck is, and it boggles my mind cause I know non of them have every heard it wound out beyond 2,000rpm LOL
Ya at about 2800 rpm my exhaust note just cracks and becomes way loud! On x street it used to that every gear, got a little annoying after a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts