Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating weather or not to change my compressor wheel or not...turbo has performed very well for me...almost to the point of being unusual. Boosting 35psi max...350,000mi on it and just recently had some shaft play show up.

Well, upon teardown for bearing replacement, I found slightly bent tip-corners on a couple fins. To be honest, I still question weather I should mess with a good thing, but a potential balance issue with those bends has me nervous.

I have had recommendations to go with a WW2, but I have to wonder...with nearly everyone who is buying this wheel installing it on a well used setup with a a potentially worn/damaged stock wheel...is it the WW2 wheel design, or is it the fact that it's a new wheel?

Has anyone actually tested this wheel against a new stock turbo, or a used turbo with new gaskets, etc...and a brand new stock wheel?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've built two turbos using DieselSites Billet wheels and they are a top quality part. Didn't notice any gains from the wheel only as I did several things at once.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...

Guess it doesn't really matter now. Turbine is junked (appears to be erosion from heat and miles). Center section has a chip at the o-ring land for the compressor backing plate. Thrust bearing got into the backing plate just enough to ruin it.

Hey, at least if I pull the two broken bolts from the exhaust housing, then I'll have good exhaust and compressor housings (minus the backing plate).

Time for a new turbo.

:poke:

-Phillip :pointlaugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts