Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up some parts in the summer. Truck is in SIG.

I am looking on an opinion of if I need to get a bigger turbo? The truck won't be towing heavy if at all BUT I would like the option if I had to in a pinch. I want to do a WW2, 1.0 housing, Rosewood 160cc/30% and a BTS Valve Body.

Truck currently has a RacerX triple disk and 4" Diamond Eye stainless duals.

NO MATTER WHAT I am doing an E-Fuel conversion using Markfuga's block, super duty pump, and Stanadyne "Fuelmanager" Filter assemblies.

Thanks, Brad.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Technically, a 1.0 is a smaller turbo. But it spools sooner than a stock 1.15 and the torque comes on sooner with a slight reduction in top end power. I liked mine with stageIIs. With the tow tune I regularly pulled a 10K trailer. Did not have a WWII though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically, a 1.0 is a smaller turbo. But it spools sooner than a stock 1.15 and the torque comes on sooner with a slight reduction in top end power. I liked mine with stageIIs. With the tow tune I regularly pulled a 10K trailer. Did not have a WWII though.
My only concern is with a Stage 2 I could push EGT too high (160cc/80%) for a stock charger. Although, I was told/read that the WW2 will lower EGT about 200-300 degrees (no idea how much truth that holds). I do not want to start sourcing Intercooler parts (although lots of junkyards around).

Only time the top end might be nice would be at the truck pulls, other than that I don't race it at all.

FORGOT to mention I will have a PHP Hydra with PHP tuning.

Thanks, Brad.

368 Posts
If you plan on bigger injectors and towing, an intercooler is inevitable. Especially if you want a long life out of that stock turbo

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Truck pulls are definitely not suggested for the 1.0, a lot of the early users blew up their 1.0 turbos due to overspeeding the turbo while sledpulling or excessive rubber burning with stageIIs. LOL

This is where a lot of the bad rap against using the 1.0 housing originated. If you don't drive like a total moron, you will not have any problems.

I dragraced mine with stageII injectors with no problems while making 408hp and lot of hot street driving nor any problems towing 10k trailers up to about 27-2800 rpm but I didn't tow above 60-65 on long grades like Donner Summit over the Sierras with a tow tune. I could run 70+ on low altitude long grades without any EGT problems with the same tow load. Tow tune was good for 385hp. No perceptable turbo shaft wobble after 80k rather hard miles.

My truck had the usual full boat load of mods.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you plan on bigger injectors and towing, an intercooler is inevitable. Especially if you want a long life out of that stock turbo
On average the most it will tow is either my 19' boat or a 4 place snowmobile trailer. I just want the option to tow heavy if the issue arises. If that means watching gauges then I guess I will haha.

Truck pulls are definitely not suggested for the 1.0, a lot of the early users blew up their 1.0 turbos due to overspeeding the turbo while sledpulling or excessive rubber burning with stageIIs. LOL

This is where a lot of the bad rap against using the 1.0 housing originated. If you don't drive like a total moron, you will not have any problems.

I dragraced mine with stageII injectors with no problems while making 408hp and lot of hot street driving nor any problems towing 10k trailers up to about 27-2800 rpm but I didn't tow above 60-65 on long grades like Donner Summit over the Sierras with a tow tune. I could run 70+ on low altitude long grades without any EGT problems with the same tow load. Tow tune was good for 385hp. No perceptable turbo shaft wobble after 80k rather hard miles.

My truck had the usual full boat load of mods.
Thanks, skipping 1.0 for sure then. Didn't know it was that big of a no-no/difference!

Thanks, Brad.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
You do realize I used the 1.0 and did a lot of HOT street driving/towing and StageIIs with it? Just the maniacal guys blew their turbos. Half-way sane drivers (there are many) have no problems.

368 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do realize I used the 1.0 and did a lot of HOT street driving/towing and StageIIs with it? Just the maniacal guys blew their turbos. Half-way sane drivers (there are many) have no problems.
I watch gabes closely. I sled pull 4-6 hooks a year. Other than that she will pound pavement. My turbo is brand spanking new. 300 miles on it.

1.0 housing review - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

All Brad does is tow and here is his review. Another good option is the D66 with the 1.0 it also flows more air over a stock turbo which will help egts

If my turbo wasn't brand new I would do a D66.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Well I for one would run a 1.0. My truck pulls good now with the 1.15 on it but im sure it pull alot harder with a 1.0 & probably run a smidge coole

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm looking and doing this same upgrade: I already have the 1.0 housing. But want to rebuild the turbo completely with upgraded 360 bearing and ww2 and keep the 1.0 housing, and add rosewood injectors either 160/30 or 160/80s. The 360 bearing kit should keep the turbo together if you drive sanely Id think. Then I want to add a t500 and electric fuel and BTS valve body. Let me know what you think about it.

I may do it in a better order of modification, turbo, t500, BTS valve body, electric fuel, then injectors last. And for reliability eventually studs, springs, and pushrods. But its gonna take me a couple years of tax returns to do all that haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts