Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been picking up WVO in cubbies from a source for about a year now. After the last pickup, when I got home, I noticed that the WVO label was different & had some things printed on it that concerned me:

"Clear Liquid Vegetable Frying Shortening
Ingredients: Soybean oil, TBHQ, and citric acid added to help preserve freshness, dimethylpolysiloxane
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g"

Is this oil OK?

What WVO, if any, do you avoid and why?

What WVO do you prefer to burn and why?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i wouldn't run it.

The Citric acid is likely fine, it won't be very strong or very high in concentration.

Siloxanes as a group are very problematic to any combustion engine- when burned, one of the products is Silicon dioxide- AKA sand. I wouldn't want that in my engine. It may turn out that it's in such a small quantity that it's irrelevant, but I personally wound't bet my engine on it.

I know of a site that has 10- 30KW turbine generators that are shut down because of Siloxanes.

I'll ask my Chem Eng. buddy if there's a simple way to remove that component, but I think I already know the answer.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Soloxane will convert to silicon dioxide under heat.

Technically, it depends on the concentration in the solution. In this publication there is an explanation of the effects and why it happens. There are also a few manufacturers' 'acceptable' limits but in my world there is zero tolerance from abrasives inside my engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I avoid anything that says 'hydrogenated', 'partially hydrogenated', or 'shortening'. My sources use non-hydrogenated canola oil. If it gets any better than that, I've yet to see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts