Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 02 F-350 auto CC 4x4 that has a fairly intense vibe from 2500-3000k. I replaced all the U-joints and carrier bearing without and improvement. In park you can feel the vibration when reved up but under hard acceleration it's really bad. Anyone have any recommendations on where to look? It does have a ATS triple disc could, ats e power programmer, and ats co pilot, but with the program removed and the copilot turned off it's still there. Thanks for any help.

Justin

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
X2 on the flexplate. Fix it before it ends up looking like this:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if it turns out to be my flexplate how did it get like this? Is the ATS one needed on a mild tuned truck with a converter that rarely pulls much over 6-8k? I didn't realize that you could get an aftermarket one for that cheap.....but I don't wanna a piece of ####.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well truck is getting picked up at the transmission shop tomorrow. He said nothing appeared wrong with the flex plate or TC. He thought it was in the drive shaft so he sent that to a driveline shop to be balanced. They came to the conclusion that something inside the driveshaft is messed up and cannot be balanced. When I first got the truck another shop installed all new U-joints and carrier bearing, but I'm not sure if they marked the shafts prior to dis assembly. I don't know where to go now.....I talked to Jesse at highangledriveline for about 20 mins today and he is 90% sure that the problem is in the driveshaft angle since it is vibrating really bad under hard acceleration. Anyone have any other suggestions? :doh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a leveling kit. We pulled the tranny out last night and flex plate looks good going to have friend inspect ats converter tonight

·
Registered
301 Posts
the leveling kit wont affect any rear driveline angle at all.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
No play? That might be the issue right there.
well i should rephrase my question :D does there seem to be more or less than acceptable backlash between the ring and pinion? worn bearings?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the wheels off the ground and spinning the yoke by hand there is maybe less than an 1/8" of slack before the tires turned. I took the torque converter and flexplate out to a performace transmission builder who put the tcand flexplate on a lathe and both of them seemed fine except for a wear
mark on the tq house that goes into tranny. We replaced the pump bushing and seal and I guess I'm going to call ats in the morning. Could something be wrong with the flexplate that would cause it to have a shimmy when bolted to the motor with the tc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping to pull the transmission and see the flex plate noticeably messed up, but since that's not the case I don't know where to go from here. There is a shop about 120 miles from here with a converter balancer, but I don't want to spend the time to drive up there to find out the balancer is perfect. Could the TC or flex been installed incorrectly 30k miles ago and have caused this issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well what was the end result? I've had my truck for 16 years and it just started the 2500 rpm vibration thing. Every gear when it hit's 2500 it comes then goes away after accelerating through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts