Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just bought my 2005 f-250 crew cab lariat with 111,000 miles last week and so far i absolutly love the truck. But today i went out and started it about 10min before i left work. when i left work everything was running normal and i drove about a mile or so to my sons daycare, shut the truck off. and was inside the daycare for about 5min. when i returned i started the truck and it was ideling rough for a few seconds then leveled out. when i tried to give it some gas it acted like it was running on 3 cylenders and was blowing an enormis amount of white smoke. i made it about 25ft and it died. i started it back up hoping to move it out of the middle of the driveway and made it about another 25ft and shut it off. then i waited about 5min and started it up again and everything was fine. Could this be a "Sticktion Issue"?

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
sounds like a FICM issue to me. i would check the connections on the back of the FICM and make sure they are all plugged in all the way. if they are then the controller itself might be going out

·
young buck learning.
431 Posts
:whs:
i just replaced on that was acting the same way. it would start and die over and over again. and dump a ton of black smoke. check the ficm and check the voltage.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Definately grab codes... Also sounds like it could be a HPO issue or air in fuel

·
Registered
98 Posts
03 yours was the ficm then ??? they seem to go more when the temp goes down for the first time of the year and then warms back up it seems like mine has 247k i have been threw most 6.0 issues a few times over again lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i have another question after looking around in the forum here, it seems like eveyone here that has had a bad FICM had problems with rough start/No start issues in cold weather with a cold motor. When the above situation happend to me it was about 53* outside with the engine at (or just about at) normal operating temp. could this still be my issue and if so whats the average cost of a repair.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Yes FICMs will strand you even in the middle of the summer...

the FICM itself is around $700

·
Registered
72 Posts
had my ficm rebuilt and saved 4-500 bucks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would a bad FICM make it seem like the glow plugs were bad when starting a cold motor
P.S. Sorry about all the retarded noob questions. i really do appreciate all the feedback form the PSN community

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
would a bad FICM make it seem like the glow plugs were bad when starting a cold motor
P.S. Sorry about all the retarded noob questions. i really do appreciate all the feedback form the PSN community
Yes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay so I just tested my FICM and I maintain 48 volt the entire time with running and just the key in the on position motor not running. does this mean my FICM is ok

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
A blown turbo wouldnt make it do any of that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well it turns out that the truck is blowing blue smoke not white. and if the ficm tested properly then what could it be? it only seems like it blows the smoke under accelerasion

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Turbo will not do the hard start issue. Next thing to check is your EGR valve as it may be sticking open.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts