Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping the wtf gets some attention. I had something happen last night that really concerns me, but I can't find anything about it....I lost my electrical while driving. But, I didn't.

Vehicle is the Ex in my sig. Nothing unusual about how things are set up. I do have a 250 amp alternator and two brand new (bought em a month ago, manufactured in April for both) AGM batteries. I have all 2/0 cable, properly terminated, sealed, etc. Electrical setup hasn't given me a lick of trouble in years.

As for what happened, I was driving home from the store, in town, at about 25MPH. Suddenly, with no warning, no prelude, nada, everything in my truck except for the lights and the engine turned off. Everything then went through a test cycle like it would when you first turn on the key and then remained on for the rest of the drive.

First thought is it has something to do with the key, but the key was never touched, and since the FICM and fuel pumps stayed on as well, it doesn't feel right. So, I'm wondering if there is a connection which houses most, but not all, of the items controlled by the key.....something that would let what I described happen. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,215 Posts
Possible it is the battery saver circuit in the Instrument Cluster

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's a new one on me! What's a battery saver relay, and can it be replaced? Gonna start googling now.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the research already. Here's the million dollar question: can this HEC module be bought by the average Joe? I have good soldering skills and have confidence I could do it, but I can't actually find it for sale anywhere, nor can I find a pic or video specifying which component it is on the back of the cluster.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,215 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some great info there! I also ran across quite a few stories of bad solder joints, so I decided to go ahead and reflow the solder on anything I could on the board. Found several junctions which looked questionable. Guess we'll see how this works. If it happens again, I'll probably just send it in. Just wish I could find out what to replace so I could do it myself. Hate paying someone else to do something I am capable of performing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts