Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the heat of trying to get a truck going, (this thing is kicking my arse), I am installing a new fitting on the hpop, tightening the branch tube bolts with a short 8mm wrench. Wrench slips and goes down the block between hpop gear and rear cover! I cant see it with a mirror, and can't get anything with a magnet. How hard is it to remove rear cover? What all has to be removed? This truck has been 1 nightmare after another. Help. 06 F250, 6.0

·
Registered
26 Posts
transmission has to be pulled. However. i strongly suggest jacking the engine up and dropping the oil pan. i have dropped a bolt once down the back and luckily i could reach it from the bottom with a flexible magnet up over the top of the bed plate. you will need to undo the engine mount nuts, jack the crank pulley get 8mm 1/4 inch drive swivel socket and wobble extension to get all the bolts out the ones next to the trans lines are troublesome your first time, usually i pry them away as best i can. youll need a flex head gear wrench to get the 8mm pickup tube bolts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily, my buddy has a snapon camera, the one with the flexible light. Finally found it, and was able to use a flexible magnet, while watching with camera. Sheww!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAH... Yea that wrench couldnt be that exspensive!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was halfway down among the top of the crank and gears, that would have been a problem. Had to get it out. Gave my buddy a $100 bill for use of the camera. Man, that thing is nice!

·
Registered
72 Posts
im looking for a bolt as we speak in mine came off the hpop cover...i went and bought a camera $90 from harbor freight. seems to work great but i cant find this dag on thing..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So you both suggest just leaving the wrench inside the motor>???
A while back I had a motor that a guy dropped one of the bolts from his high pressure oil pump during a swap down the same spot. The truck ran for about 10 miles before the bolt got lodged between the cam gear and the engine block. It proceeded to run the gear off the cam. This in turn ends up putting a few valves into the pistons and thus bend several push rods. The bolt wasn't expensive but putting a different motor in the truck was, all over a bad hpop.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Damn.....good save!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
nice man i was thinkin about gettin one of them snap on cams just for stuff like this. it kinda made me laugh because as i was doin my hpop i was lookin down there and i thought to myself damn, a guy would realy be up sh!t creek if he dropped somethin down there i bet lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
get the camera with the smallest camera head so you can shove it down glow plug holes to inspect pistons. not that you see a cylinder washed out or a piston melt in a 6.0, 6.4s on the other hand...

They do come in handy i have one. saves soo much time....

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
A while back I had a motor that a guy dropped one of the bolts from his high pressure oil pump during a swap down the same spot. The truck ran for about 10 miles before the bolt got lodged between the cam gear and the engine block. It proceeded to run the gear off the cam. This in turn ends up putting a few valves into the pistons and thus bend several push rods. The bolt wasn't expensive but putting a different motor in the truck was, all over a bad hpop.
Yikes, that really stinks. Not sure why anyone would ever leave something that they lost inside an engine. It really leaves my speechless. LoL.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When doing my injectors this fall I dropped the torx bit down the engine. Had to jack the engine up and drop the oil pan to get it back a huge pan in the a** but way better then buying a new engine. I think every mechanic has dropped a tool or bolt or something else down an engine at some point while working.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have lots of tools floating around the top of my engine.... drop something when doing anything around the top and it disappears under and around the intake manifold and everything else...guess i need a magnet and camera so I can quit buying 10mm wrenches and 10mm sockets...seems lik,e those i lose the most

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have lots of tools floating around the top of my engine.... drop something when doing anything around the top and it disappears under and around the intake manifold and everything else...guess i need a magnet and camera so I can quit buying 10mm wrenches and 10mm sockets...seems lik,e those i lose the most
magnetic tray works awesome. stick it to the cowl where the degas bottle mounts to...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts