Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had contacted Banks back in 05 to get a catalogue for reference purpose. I just got a call from them wanting to know if i still had a truck and any interest in products from them. How desperate can a sales department be to be that far back in a database looking for leads.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
wow:eek:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
They called me a while back too. Gale even sent me a letter, lol.

Wish I still had it, I'd scan it so you could see. It was pretty funny. Especially since the last time I had talked to them I got in a big argument with a guy because he basically told me I was an idiot for swapping to a 12cm housing on an HX35 on our motorhome, and that the housing I got from Chris at River City that was non-gated wasn't going to work for crap.... asked me what engineering school I went to, so on and so forth.

I then explained all that, and asked him what was the absolute MOST power I could make with my 99 7.3L superduty. After he josseled around the subject for sufficient time I cut to the chase and interupted him to say, 275? 300 maaaaybe? He's like, probably....

So I say, well my daily driver will make in excess of 500rwhp on fuel without any sign of smoke... Is there anything written in your little phone call fact sheet guide that can rival that?

He got quiet so I told him I'll be out back installing that non-gated 12cm housing on that Hx35 and that he could keep his 500 or 700 whatever dollar freakin housing and hung up.

Then after all that I got that letter a few months later.

:hehe:

·
Registered
552 Posts

Wish I still had it, I'd scan it so you could see. It was pretty funny. Especially since the last time I had talked to them I got in a big argument with a guy because he basically told me I was an idiot for swapping to a 12cm housing on an HX35 on our motorhome, and that the housing I got from Chris at River City that was non-gated wasn't going to work for crap.... asked me what engineering school I went to, so on and so forth.

I then explained all that, and asked him what was the absolute MOST power I could make with my 99 7.3L superduty. After he josseled around the subject for sufficient time I cut to the chase and interupted him to say, 275? 300 maaaaybe? He's like, probably....

So I say, well my daily driver will make in excess of 500rwhp on fuel without any sign of smoke... Is there anything written in your little phone call fact sheet guide that can rival that?

He got quiet so I told him I'll be out back installing that non-gated 12cm housing on that Hx35 and that he could keep his 500 or 700 whatever dollar freakin housing and hung up.

is there a time when you dont get into an argument?:poke:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
is there a time when you dont get into an argument?:poke:

Well, lets break it down...

In order for me to not argue that point, I would have to feel that I was in the wrong. Otherwise I would be obligated to support my position feeling that it was correct.

If you feel I caused the argument, that would have to be predicated on the assumption that my position was incorrect and that I shouldn't have attempted to support it farther.

Do you feel that putting a 12cm non-gated housing on an HX35 in a pusher motorhome with no fuel modifications would be foolish?

We're going to ignore the fact that I've already done it and the fact that it works flawlessly and runs 30 to 35lbs of boost at full song and can't physically exceed 900 degrees EGT... whereas before it was running so hot that it warped and cracked the manifold making piss-poor power all the while.

So to conclude, you have two options if you're a logical guy, which you have proven to be.

Option A

-If you feel that results like that are bad, then you're right. I was wrong and shouldn't have argued with the man.

Option B

-However, if you feel like those results are great, and that the 120 dollar housing I bought from Chris did in fact work flawlessly, then how can you fault me for not agreeing with the man telling me I was foolish for not buying his gated 12cm housing for 700 some odd dollars who then further insulted me by rhetorically asking where I received my degree.

I guess there's Option C, which is to realize I'm talking to an idiot and just kindly end the conversation and hang up. But that seems like a pu$$y move to me personally...

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
:shrug::shrug:
Well, lets break it down...

In order for me to not argue that point, I would have to feel that I was in the wrong. Otherwise I would be obligated to support my position feeling that it was correct.

If you feel I caused the argument, that would have to be predicated on the assumption that my position was incorrect and that I shouldn't have attempted to support it farther.

Do you feel that putting a 12cm non-gated housing on an HX35 in a pusher motorhome with no fuel modifications would be foolish?

We're going to ignore the fact that I've already done it and the fact that it works flawlessly and runs 30 to 35lbs of boost at full song and can't physically exceed 900 degrees EGT... whereas before it was running so hot that it warped and cracked the manifold making piss-poor power all the while.

So to conclude, you have two options if you're a logical guy, which you have proven to be.

Option A

-If you feel that results like that are bad, then you're right. I was wrong and shouldn't have argued with the man.

Option B

-However, if you feel like those results are great, and that the 120 dollar housing I bought from Chris did in fact work flawlessly, then how can you fault me for not agreeing with the man telling me I was foolish for not buying his gated 12cm housing for 700 some odd dollars who then further insulted me by rhetorically asking where I received my degree.

I guess there's Option C, which is to realize I'm talking to an idiot and just kindly end the conversation and hang up. But that seems like a pu$ move to me personally...
i never siad you were wrong about anthing here, i just notice that you like to debate, a lot! i am on the band wagon that banks has overpriced stuff in some instances but they are after a different market, power is not totally the name of the game when i come to banks products they are staying with limits to sell street legal stuff inside the borders of california, and we all know that california emissions are rediculous and the cost to stay with in limits if high.

as for the turbine housing you mentioned, i think it is a good choice in the right set up, the only thing i would ask is how do you keep it form over speeding with no wastegate? maybe a more tactfull question from the banks guys would have yeilded a better answer from you:shrug:

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
I got a catalog and some odd ball letter from them about 6 months ago and i've never bought anything from then. And im pretty sure i never filled out anything to receive anything of that sort. I don't know how they got my name or address but they did somewhere somehow.

·
PA 6.0 PS
185 Posts

:bowfast:LOLLOLLOLLOL:bowfast:

·
What else?
4,156 Posts

i never siad you were wrong about anthing here, i just notice that you like to debate, a lot! i am on the band wagon that banks has overpriced stuff in some instances but they are after a different market, power is not totally the name of the game when i come to banks products they are staying with limits to sell street legal stuff inside the borders of california, and we all know that california emissions are rediculous and the cost to stay with in limits if high.

as for the turbine housing you mentioned, i think it is a good choice in the right set up, the only thing i would ask is how do you keep it form over speeding with no wastegate? maybe a more tactfull question from the banks guys would have yeilded a better answer from you:shrug:
Not every turbo requires a wastegate for it's application, look at the OBS PSD's. As long as you don't grossly overfuel the engine, a non-wg turbo will work just fine. In some cases it may work better, because you can run a larger housing, lowering backpressure.

5.9's were available with a variety of different sized non-wg and wastegated housings depending on application and fuel rate. With the rpm and fuel rate his motorhome most likely has, that housing would seem to, and obviously does, work very well. What is it rated at Charles, 175 or 190hp?

Dave

·
Registered
552 Posts
smokyred;836303[B said:
]Not every turbo requires a wastegate for it's application, look at the OBS PSD's. As long as you don't grossly overfuel the engine, a non-wg turbo will work just fine. In some cases it may work better, because you can run a larger housing, lowering backpressure.[/B]
5.9's were available with a variety of different sized non-wg and wastegated housings depending on application and fuel rate. With the rpm and fuel rate his motorhome most likely has, that housing would seem to, and obviously does, work very well. What is it rated at Charles, 175 or 190hp?

Dave
agreed, but the OBS turbo's use a large housing, 12cm is a pretty small housing to use with all the fuel it takes to generate 500 hp it should overspeed pretty easily and egt's would be high from all the backpressure especially if mounted a powerstroke

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

You size the housing for the engine size, expected rpm and power level. Done, and done.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
agreed, but the OBS turbo's use a large housing, 12cm is a pretty small housing to use with all the fuel it takes to generate 500 hp it should overspeed pretty easily and egt's would be high from all the backpressure especially if mounted a powerstroke
An OBS powerstroke is 444 cubic inches my friend... So no, an HX35 off of a 360 cubic inch inline 6 with a 12cm housing wouldn't make a good fit on an engine nearly 25% larger that's also making 2 or more times the power...

Although I think it's also self-explanatory that the turbocharger off of one of our skid-steer loaders probably wouldn't work very well on that engine either.

Good thing I put the HX35 with the 12cm housing on the 200 some odd hp 5.9 not a 500 some odd hp 7.3 though...

And nobody ever said anything about sticking one on a 7.3 in the first place. For the same reason nobody ever said anything about sticking a skid-steer turbo on one. It has no bearing on nor relevance to the discussion, and on top of that, it would make no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a catalog and some odd ball letter from them about 6 months ago and i've never bought anything from then. And im pretty sure i never filled out anything to receive anything of that sort. I don't know how they got my name or address but they did somewhere somehow.
Do you subscribe to any diesel magazines, Truck magazines? There is a company that you can buy a subscription list from. I bet they are doing this.

·
Registered
552 Posts

So I say, well my daily driver will make in excess of 500rwhp on fuel without any sign of smoke
... Is there anything written in your little phone call fact sheet guide that can rival that?

reading this post i assumed you were talking about a 7.3, you never stated you were talking about a cummins! you are not very clear when you talk.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
reading this post i assumed you were talking about a 7.3, you never stated you were talking about a cummins! you are not very clear when you talk.
Sorry.

In the diesel realm there are certain things assumed to come under the heading of "background knowledge". Like the fact that an HX35 is stock on a 12v cummins.

I obviously took my assumption farther than your background knowledge reached there.

My mistake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts