Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and read the forums about high mileage 6.0s and I tried to read the stick about the 03 6.0 bible but it is not working right now so my question is would you guys consider buying this truck?

I think $15k is to high but if I can get it for $11k I may consider it any advice?

2003 Ford F250 Bulletproofed 6.0

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would consider buying this truck. 6.0s have their problems but with this truck being bullet proof the main problems are taken care of. When you bullet proof a 6.0 they are just as good as the 7.3 just with a little more power. With the amount of stuff this guy has done to the truck I would. $15,000 isn't a bad price with all the stuff that's done to it but I'd still try to talk him down to $14,000 or so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm from Michigan and the prices vary depending on where you are. Around here people pay $14,000 for 6.0s all day but I hear down south it's different so if you can get it for cheaper that's great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the owner claims no rust and it looks fairly clean, It sucks because I live in PA and the truck is in NC, I dont mind making a drive just want to make sure its worth it.

Thanks guys I will try and get him as low as I can and see what happens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What other problems did the 03 6.0 have that the later years didnt? I know the trans was still a little iffy on them but this one has a built trans.

I know to check the ficm, and oil cooler since the craigslist add didnt mention anything about either of them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The main problems for all 6.0s are the FICM, EGR, oil cooler, head studs, and injectors. There are some other problems but those are the main ones. My 04 has only had injector and EGR problems which the EGR caused the oil cooler to go bad so I had to replace that. But I don't know of any 03 specific problems. I have a 04 work truck and when the injectors started to go bad it start to idol rough and when you would take off cold the truck would have low power and would shake until it warmed up, so when I went and bought my personal truck (04 6.0 also) I asked the owner to make sure the truck was not warmed up when I got there so I could hear it start cold and I went for a drive before it was completely warmed up to make sure the injectors weren't bad. That wouldn't be a bad idea for you to do, injectors are known to go out in them.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
From reading the post I would def say its worth the trip especially with all the money he has put into it. Just make sure to do what jmbannow said as well as check the degas cap to make sure it's not puking coolant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look into it thanks guys,

I did a oasis report on the truck and it says plain as day reman trans installed but the owner is dead set on it being a suncoast stage 5 so I think he is lying to me already which is a great sign.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I have a buddy who bought a truck out of state and before he picked it up he arranged with the owner and the local ford dealer to have the owner drop the truck off to have it checked over then he spoke with the ford dealer and they said it was great. He gave the dealer his credit card info and paid for it so then he knew he was getting a good truck before he went. The ford dealer should be able to tell where the trans is from that's in there. I would think it would be stamped on it someplace if its a sun coast or not. So you could do that if you want

·
Registered
88 Posts
From the people I know who have sun coasts they say the transmission shifts harder than stock or reman ones so you might be able to tell that way also

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Harder in a good way? Or like they are going to fall out of the truck?

And yeah that is a option to ddrop it off at a ford dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
harder in a good way. when you get a upgraded transmission they normally shift harder but yea i think that is your best bet to have the truck dropped off

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks, I will try and talk to the guy and see if he is willing to do that. He didnt answer my phone calls yesterday at all so we will see.

·
Registered
88 Posts
good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just my 2¢ but if I invested that much cash in upgrades and such in a truck I would probably hang on to the paperwork and receipts and such for situations such as this. Might ask him if he has those. I would also ask who did the work and make sure it was done by a reputable shop or mechanic that knows the 6.0,,,, just a thought.

LOL, just saw how I started this. "If I had invested that much cash". Have any of us that own a 6.0 not invested a lot of cash? Very good money spent though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been asking for receipts and he claims that the previous owner did the work and he doesnt have any since it was a family friend, I am going to walk away from this one I think. Even though I think it is a good deal theres too many red flags for me to be comfortable. I will just keep looking at other 6.0s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts