Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What about using a battery tender that will keep the battery fully charged?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked around and everyone said it wouldn't do any good having 2 batteries. the batteries are brand spanking new I just need a way to keep them from freezing and not starting

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was toying with the idea of looking in to a little charger/maintainer and hooking it with the block heater. This way whenever I plug my truck in its putting some juice on the batteries as well. Will it make a big difference? Probably not but by the time morning rolls around its better than nothing.

1.5 Amp Three Stage Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer

Low amp output but when it was in the negs with that storm a few weeks ago, you know what im talking about rich, I was stranded at my gfs. Her dad had a little battery charger that was only putting out like 2 amps and it went from completely dead to starting just fine with block heater on next morning.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rich, I still think you should be looking into a parasitic draw issue. Brand new batteries shouldn't freeze up like that unless there are defective. My truck has sat for 3 or 4 days untouched and starts right up with temps close to -20. You've got another issue to track down. Are you sure it was a battery issue and not a weak starter or battery cable issue?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just bought a new block heater plug and when I go to my buddys on wednesday were gunna take the batteries out and trace the battery cables down to see if mabey one is broken or messed up and I'm also going to clean the terminals and jumper from the pass battery to the starter I believe. I'm not good at wiring at all other wise I would rip out the security system which is what I think is causing the issue and can't find any way to unplug it. I also don't know how to test for parisidic draw

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
You should just be able to pull the inline fuse to the security system or take the power and ground off wherever they have it tapped into whitch is usually in the fuse box.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just search parasitic draw on youtube, lots of videos. Start with the security system...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bad part is the security system has a back up function that if you try to disable it it will kill all power going to the truck all together even if its unarmed

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, that thing needs to go. Drop the knee panel down, find the box, relays, etc and start removing it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just kinda scared to fk with it its super touchie I mean if the truck is locked and I drop the tail gate it will go off if I forget I locked it and try to open the door it will go off and if I unhook the batteries and hook them back up it goes off. Just don't want it to disable the whole damn truck because I pulled a fuse or something

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey also tapped into a few harnesses under the hook whick I don't like at all if I would have known it was an after market system I probably would have had the lot I bought it from rip it out

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Most of the time the wires they tap into and cut (if you have remote start they cut a couple) you can just solder them back together if there cut and apply heat shrink, if there spliced just unsplice them all one at a time and get some good electrical tape or liquid tape and cover the wires as you disconnect them. Alot just put the light flash wires and crap under fuses in the fuse box then you just take them out and squeeze the prongs together and reinstall the fuses. There a pita to install but easy to take out once you find the box under the dash (usually easy access place) and trace all the wires and disconnect them. Sounds harder then it really is.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
That crap will malfunction sooner then later and leave ya stranded somewhere and wont crank to fire up. Ive taken 4 out for that problem in parking lots when they were stranded.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have a remote start that actually doesn't work anymore for some reason and I have a few weird antennas on my windshield one above my rear view mirror and one on the top corner of the passanger side windshield

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well iv narrowed it down to the cold. The batteries have no parasitic draw. I did find out that the icp is covered from head to toe in oil so I guess that's the next part of my check being dumped into my truck

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was the warmest day of the month pretty much and she fired right up I think these batteries just don't like negative temps plain and simple

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would the battery blankets being deleted have anything to do with it

·
Registered
616 Posts
The blankets help but shouldn't be the problem. Does it turn over but just seem weak or are the batteries actually dead? How old is the starter? My F250 acted like it had weak batteries in temps below 20 degrees for the first 5 years I had it, Replaced the starter and it made a world of difference. Original starter with 170,000 miles was just tired.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have to battery blankets that are heated, i use an extension cord to plug them in with the block heater, they help allot with cold starts, they are 180 watts each, got them from napa

1 - 20 of 30 Posts