Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wood buying a EGR block off plate or removal of the EGR make the 6.4 bullet proof. and what is the difference from a tune that has the EGR close to a EGR plate?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Plating will not. Putting Elite's or Dirty Diesel Customs EGR delete and wastegate on your truck will aid in making your truck MORE bullet proof. The plates will only aid in preventing your motor from filling with water if a cooler were to bust.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
the wastegate is a must with egr delete, imo, would be closer to bullet prof but nothing is completely bullet prof LOL

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't much about a EGR besides jus what it is their for but wood it make more HP if I remove it? what are the pros and cons of deleting it or using a block plate

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
i don't much about a EGR besides jus what it is their for but wood it make more HP if I remove it? what are the pros and cons of deleting it or using a block plate
A full delete with wastegate should give you a little extra power. The big thing about the wastegate is back pressure relief. These trucks tuned make a lot of boost....and with a lot of boost comes even more back pressure. We are seeing close to 2:1 ratio back pressure to boost pressure with the stock turbo's running the 310 tune. That ratio needs to be closer to 1:1. The issue with the blocker plates is they create more back pressure because the valve is being shut off completely. The EGR is the only option that back pressure has for relief without a wastegate. If the valve can't blow open or relieve any pressure, back pressure is going to go up. The plus side to the plates is that they provide security if your EGR coolers were to bust.

With the a full delete, your getting rid of the EGR coolers as well. With them gone, your engine is so much cleaner and accessible from the top. Coolers also flash boil from time to time which can cause your degas bottle to overlfowamong other things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you do an egr delete does this mean anything when you have to do an emissions test? i thought i read somewhere that they check that ?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
weather they check or not your not going to pass the test for emissions

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
my bad didn't even think of that... would make it hard to run a stock tune
well you can get a stock tune power wise with an egr delete program in it, but still not going to pass, register it somewere were there is not emissions on diesels?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
08stroker250.... I dunno if i really need that done to my truck. I run RCD 450hp tune now but switching to Eric's xtreme street tune mainly for more MPG. I probably will never take my truck to the track and I do very little offroading, what I am trying to really get out of my truck is decent MPG (17-18) and reliability (300k w/ little to no problems). Would I be okay if I dont ever get a EGR delete or probably not?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Well you mostly see higher backpreasures at partial throttle not full throttle so i would still suggest the egr delete but there are alot of guys getting by without it to. but if you dont do the waste gate i would not do block off plates because the egr vavle is acting as one right now. jmo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not stealing the post but could it be possible to make a custom tune program just for passing emissions? On a vehicle that has had an egr delete, maby detune the engine in a way it could?

·
Registered
99 Posts
How is a EGR delete going to decrease backpressure, doesn't the external wastegate kit vent back into the downpipe and exhaust or does it vent to the atmosphere and if it does do atmosphere i can see that it would decrease pressure but at the expensive of unmuffled exhaust gases sound like #### venting out, ask me how i know how bad that sounds on my mustang.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
How is a EGR delete going to decrease backpressure, doesn't the external wastegate kit vent back into the downpipe and exhaust or does it vent to the atmosphere and if it does do atmosphere i can see that it would decrease pressure but at the expensive of unmuffled exhaust gases sound like #### venting out, ask me how i know how bad that sounds on my mustang.

vents to the DP, it would be smarter that way for someone that has a daily driver vs a race truck.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
The egr delete isnt what is helping back pruesure its the wastegate the lowers it, but goes to the downpipe so doesnt make it sound like sh*t

·
Registered
99 Posts
Backpressure is in the exhaust system, so how does it lower it if its still purging it back into the exhaust system. Come on people that makes no sense at all. The only way it could lower back pressure is to dump it to its own pipe or to atmosphere instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts