Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it look like a regular F350 dually bed would bolt on to this F450? This thing is for sale for a really good deal, and I am tossing around the idea of picking it up. While a 450 is more than I need, the deal on it is pretty good. I figure maybe I can turn it into my new DD work truck with a regular bed on it...

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
I believe the F450 and F550 share the same basic frame.
The F550 tank I put in my truck is much narrower than the OBS frame, and it filled out the F550 frame. So I suspect even the SD F350 frame will be wider than the F450.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, guess if i check out the truck i will have to take a few measurements. Thanks for the info!

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
You going to keep the 4.88 gears if you get it? :doh:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Seems like I remember reading something about needing some shims or brackets. Not a direct bolt on, but very doable.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm, tossing the idea around for sure, but still might not be practical for what i want to use for... I dunno, im not really all that practical anyways lol. The truck has about 172k on it, 2000 2wd auto 7.3 for $4,900 if i remember right. Wonder if its possible and how hard it would be to lower a F450 lol

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Normally on flat beds you have two runners that sit on the frame, then the cross supports (usually 3'' channel iron) go cross ways. All you would have to do it cut the runners loose from the channels and move them to the correct frame width.

The F450-550 frame is flat on top and a LOT wider flanges than the others, they are real easy to mount to. Some of the c&c F350 had the flat frame rails as well iirc.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Normally on flat beds you have two runners that sit on the frame, then the cross supports (usually 3'' channel iron) go cross ways. All you would have to do it cut the runners loose from the channels and move them to the correct frame width.

The F450-550 frame is flat on top and a LOT wider flanges than the others, they are real easy to mount to. Some of the c&c F350 had the flat frame rails as well iirc.
I guess I missed the part of a REGULAR BED! Sorry, carry on.:doh:

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
I think the rear axle is too far back for a normal 8 ft bed. Every conversion I have seen on the older trucks has about a 4 inch filler inbetween the bed and the cab. You can see it in this pic.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Alex did you ever ask Weweld about this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
a 350 dually pickup has a 37" wide frame. a 350 can be spect cab and chassis and it will have a 34" wide flat frame. A 450-550 have a 34" wide frame also. the cab to axle is 60" on cab and chassis truck and its 58" on a regular truck. a little fab work is needed to make it look right.

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
I believe the frame width is narrower on a cab/chassis than the pickup. Might require some mounting brackets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2000 F-550 crew cab 4x4. I have pictures of a F-350 bed sitting on the frame rails somewhere (search my previous post and you might find some). To get it to look factory I think (going from memory) you will have to move the rear axle forward 3 3/4". Everything except the bump stops, swaybar mounts, and maybe the upper shock mounts are bolted on. I would also consider moving the frame crossmember that is inbetween the front leaf spring mounts as well. If I remember correctly the e-brake mounting will have to be moved forward as well. You will also need to shorten the drive shaft and cut off some of the rear of the frame. The bed lines will not match cab if you just set it on the frame rails. You will have to shim the rear of the cab up and modify the front bed cross member to lower the front of the bed to get the lines to match up and look factory. I think that truck has a dana 80 but I beleive that I read that the gear set is different from the regular dana 80, idk so you will have to check into that. Just be glad that you don't have the dana s135 like the one in my truck. It has take many hours of research to figure out how to go about doing a gear change on it. Ford had to have the tone wheel on the carrier and it has been a real pain to deal with.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Talk to Strokin N Style, he swapped out the 4.88s in his early 99 F450 for a set of 4.10s & is happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts