Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a '95, 5spd. the truck quit running on me back in January, i talked to a few ppl, a guy that owned the truck back in the day had a idea that i had cam problems, but turns out that wasnt it, i got the IDM upgraded to 130. I had the scan tool on it at one point at which while cranknig i was only seeing a slow build to about 180psi. Then it would hit 1465psi and stop, even if i was still cranking. So first i tried a new IPR because the pump was pretty healthy before the truck just quit running. New IPR didnt do anything, so i put a new pump on it. Now the numbers are higher but still takes 8-12 secs do build 450psi, then it hits 2645psi and stops even if im still cranking. :mad: with both IPRs im gettin same numbers. I checked O rings i had one leaking replaced it and nothing changed, then i found a bad wire going to the IPR, rigged it to work and she ran for about 25 min, then just shut off AGAIN :mad: i tried new ICP sensor didnt change anything. another guy that owned this truck before purchased a wonderful pensicola kit including a neew wiring harness, AA inj's, under valves, and G plugs. so far the only thing a havent replaced is the main harness that was in the kit. the undervavles are fine buzz test passed, no codes ive got tach movement, Fuel pressure is at 60psi, im working on getting a new wiring harness just having paypal problems, but im gonna get it. After that im lost. Theres my long a$$ story i havent drove the truck since mid JAN, so anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance, Greenmonster

· Demon Dually
5,142 Posts
I think you answered your own question there when you said you rigged the IPR harness and it ran. I would suggest getting that harness, which isn't very expensive, and try it again. In a pinch you can replace the plug on the harness with one from a UVCH plug for an injector. That harness is known to have the insulation just fall apart due to diesel fuel and other contaminants getting on it. I would bet that it is shorted farther up the harness where you can't see it.

· Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
The IPR harness is at least a $50 harness from the dealer so repairing it with an injector plug harness is a good idea. Also inspect the rest of the IPR harness since it also goes to the fuel filter cannister. A short in the fuel heater section of the harness can create problems also.

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i've got a regulated return fuel system so the only thing on that part of the wire is the IPR plug and i replaced it with it a buddys, it didnt change anything, and i have little resistance in the wire so IDK. Im gonna try the new harness and battarys and starter and see what happens. any other suggestions would be appreciative.

· Registered
3,696 Posts
borrow an idm just to rule it out.

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive tried two others and i put my moded one in another truck there was no problem what so ever as far as the acutal IDM goes, but that doesnt mean the wiring to it isnt bad.

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this is an old post of mine, but the wiring harness didnt change anything, as far as from the two inch plug forward, i plan to take the truck to a guy thats good with these trucks, ive got faith that he'll figure it out but he cant look at it for a couple of weeks, so while im waiting what do you guys think i should look at. A "sca-matic" for all my sensors would be nice if anybody knows where i could find one.

anyways...

In my OP i stated that the computer is reading stupid ICP's i've had the two different pumps on it, and i got the same ruteen but different numbers>/ what would cause this. Has anybody herd of what circuit malfunction would cause the computer to show stupid ICP #'s? ive got the starter replaced which was drawin my batterys down around 9v. now thats good, i had weird resistance on my IPR plug which is now corrected but nothing has changed. Sometimes after long crankin the injecters will come on and off, you'll get little smoke but no fire. When i get it started it runs great, quick throttle response hits on all 8, but then it just shuts off, all my gear head buddys are scratchin there heads. If anybody has any input i would appreciate it, thanx

· OEM Moderator
10,109 Posts
Those numbers for ICP that you posted are false numbers when the system is not happy. Actually I just recognize the one as false but I am not sure which one it is. I would fab up a manual gauge to help diagnosis this.

PCM controls and pinouts - Powerstroke Nation

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx buddy i was about to buy that. As far as the ICP numbers you've seen that kind of activity before? What ended up being the problem?

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is a dump question but its always bothered me, i have a digital multi meter that i use and when your testing resistance, it sits on 1 then if its got no res it moves to 0.00. But ive gottin -1 before on all settings (20k,200k,2000k) i thought it ment infinity ohms but even at 2000k its saying -1. Not sure what it means. Am i right is it Infinity? :drool:

· OEM Moderator
10,109 Posts
I have seen one of those numbers before data logging HPOPs it it happend right when the check engine lite came on.

· Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes thats what this one does but sometimes it would shut off when you let off of cranking, other times it would stay on untill you turned the key completly off. idk, did this truck not start when you got the ICP #'s and the CEL ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.