Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auto and the shifter is getting real sloppy. It is getting to were it wont crank in park and I have to turn the key on and shift it to neutral and then it will. The shifter is so bad that you have to pass over( like say you want in drive) to 2nd and then bring it back over. Im thinking its in the column. I have no clue and this shifting bs is getting old and tired of the sloppy shifter.

Thanks, Cody

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Try lifting the shifter towards the column. It's from it being so sloppy. There are usually bushings that you can replace and sometimes the bracket is broken as well. I've also seen the shifter sliding around where it connects to the neutral safety switch. Once the slop is gone, I bet the problem is resolved as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is very sloopy. Once I get it running and in gear I can move the damn thing all over the place and its still in gear lol. What all should I replace, and what all has to be torn apart to fix this? Its getting worse and worse.

And I have tried lifting the shifter towards the column and that use to work but now maybe sometimes.

·
<< Hood stack
144 Posts
go to the dealer and get the a new shifter tube, the 3 plastic bushings and possibly a new shifter it self. pull the 2 plastic covers off the colum and drop it down and it is easy from there. very common problem any good dealer should have every thing there for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About what is the price to do all this?

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Its not to expensive, the bushings I think are less than $5 each you probably have less than $40 total for everything

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal I will do this tomorow and let yall know!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Look under the dash where shift tube comes down there are (2) Torx head screws that tend to back out tighten them up and see it that takes care of your shift problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
go to the dealer and get the a new shifter tube, the 3 plastic bushings and possibly a new shifter it self. pull the 2 plastic covers off the colum and drop it down and it is easy from there. very common problem any good dealer should have every thing there for you.
You say 3 bushings?

I have the diagram in front of me from Ford and it only shows 2 bushings.

I bought the 2 bushings and the shifter tube which is very funny looking. It is metal, and looks pretty heavy. I wouldnt think this thing would wear out that much but quess Im wrong lol.

Any tips before I tear into this.

Thanks, Cody

·
Registered
699 Posts
Look under the dash where shift tube comes down there are (2) Torx head screws that tend to back out tighten them up and see it that takes care of your shift problem. Good Luck
Just did this to mine because of the same thing. This was a new shifter tube also, so check those torx bolts, it may be as easy as that. My old one was snapped though which is why I needed a new one so look for cracks in the tube where it mounts at those torx bolts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you pop the key switch out so I can get the top side of the column off?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Put the key in and on the bottom side of the cylinder there is a round pin you push in while turning the key and pulling out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks I got it. Ok well the two bolts in the back were very lose and the front bushing wasnt even there. I cant figure out how to get to the back clamp off that holds the other bushing. The bolts are on top and no room???

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump

I cant figure out how to get the back clamp off to get the tube out.

Thanks, Cody

1 - 17 of 17 Posts