Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so my truck will only go into 4 low so i looked under it and the shifter linkage pin that rides in the shift gate is broken and not sitting in the gate. so i disconnected the linkage where it goes onto the transfer case to move it manualy. With it pointing straight up its in 2h and works fine, i move it forward a bit and you can feel it click and it should be 4h but its neutral and the truck doesnt move, then move it one more click and its in 4low and the front drive shaft will turn and that works fine. any help? it also seems like if i have it in 2h and connect the shift linkage it sits a little behind the shift gate, it isnt lined up right?

all help would be great! sounds like i need a new transfer case or shift fork?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
So you only have three detent positions on the linkage?

You sure it's in 2HI and not 4HI when the linkage is pointed straight up? Have you tried moving it the other way (backward) from that position?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya it only falls into 3 detents, and straight up is as far back as it will go and only the front drive shaft turns when its pointed straight up

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When you say "only the front drive shaft turns", do you mean it turns under the power of the engine? Or do you mean you can turn it freely with your hand?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
But there's only three detent positions, that's the key. Remember, there should be a distinct detent position for neutral between 4HI and 4LO.

Pure speculation here, but what I'm thinking is, what seems like 4HI is actually neutral, and what seems like 2HI is actually 4HI. And something is keeping it from going all the way into 2HI. When you put it in 2HI (or what seems like 2HI), have you checked to see if it's driving the front driveshaft?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I put it in 2h the front drive shaft does not turn When o drive. It is actually in 2h. Ill Probably have to pull it n split It

1 - 9 of 9 Posts