Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i installed some new reverse lights because my old ones just flat sucked!

I got some nice ones off craigslist for $5 per light and so i bought a bunch of them. Well installed them using the old wiring, they currently had 24v bulbs in them (off a piece of construction equipment). They were super super dim with the 24v bulbs in (obviously).... and i tested to make sure i had power back there and everything and all was good...

Drove it a couple days until i could get to the store and buy new bulbs. switched them out for 100w h3 bulbs from bi-mart. Now i have NO power at all to the reverse lights, the stock ones in the brake light assembly don't work either now?? I tested the wire coming from the front of the truck to stock reverse light and there is no power. I am stumped, is there a fuse or something that goes to this?? The brake lights work perfect.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Posibly the new bulbs pulled too much current and blew the fuse? If they aren't wired tjrough a relay, they probably should be. Cheers!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Check the fuses cause you definitely burnt it out. You can't run H3 100w bulbs on the stock 16ga wiring. It was never designed for the type of amperage draw that you put on it. Run a constant hot wire of a 12ga or 10ga to post 30 on the relay and run the power wire from the new lights to post 87 on the relay. Then run a ground wire from post 85 to ground and tap into the reverse wire and run to post 86 on the relay. That will fix it right up.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the fuses cause you definitely burnt it out. You can't run H3 100w bulbs on the stock 16ga wiring. It was never designed for the type of amperage draw that you put on it. Run a constant hot wire of a 12ga or 10ga to post 30 on the relay and run the power wire from the new lights to post 87 on the relay. Then run a ground wire from post 85 to ground and tap into the reverse wire and run to post 86 on the relay. That will fix it right up.
thats my plan bud! I didnt realize how dumb i was until i talked to someone about wiring...

why can't it just be that you need a power and a ground to run anytihng haha. Relays and fuses are overrated LOL

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
thats my plan bud! I didnt realize how dumb i was until i talked to someone about wiring...

why can't it just be that you need a power and a ground to run anytihng haha. Relays and fuses are overrated LOL
I have a set of aux. reverse lights that are just hooked to power off the battery and a ground.....with a switch and a small fuse.

super easy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of aux. reverse lights that are just hooked to power off the battery and a ground.....with a switch and a small fuse.

super easy.
but what wattage are they? I used to have reverse lights that were just wired off of the OEM reverse lights but when i put these new 100w lights on the system and took the old ones off its WAY to much power. I bought the relay today and im going to run it and see what happens, should make for VERY bright light haha

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
they are a set of 100w "offroad" lights from wally world....... I didnt tap into the wires for the reverse lights since I didnt want them to come on all the time and I wanted to use them when I would be dropping or hooking up a trailer in the dark.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are a set of 100w "offroad" lights from wally world....... I didnt tap into the wires for the reverse lights since I didnt want them to come on all the time and I wanted to use them when I would be dropping or hooking up a trailer in the dark.
yeah i want mine for anytime im backing up.... So i wired into the OEM wiring for the reverse lights.

I just got done putting in a relay and it is all good to go now, the relay worked wonders for it!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Great to hear it. What size wire did you run from the battery(constant hot location)? Hopefully no smaller than 12ga and preferably 10ga. If the wire is smaller than that with 200 watts of lighting on it over the length of the truck with voltage drop you could start a fire and not even know it till it is too late. If the wire is ran down the driver side frame rail where the fuel/brake lines are oncd a fire starts you won't stop it till it is over. Don't mean to scare ya just putting that fear of god, better have done it right idea in your head. I don't want to see you lose your truck over ten bucks worth of wire. A good indicator of whether or not the wire is of the right size is if the lights appear dimmer than they should.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to hear it. What size wire did you run from the battery(constant hot location)? Hopefully no smaller than 12ga and preferably 10ga. If the wire is smaller than that with 200 watts of lighting on it over the length of the truck with voltage drop you could start a fire and not even know it till it is too late. If the wire is ran down the driver side frame rail where the fuel/brake lines are oncd a fire starts you won't stop it till it is over. Don't mean to scare ya just putting that fear of god, better have done it right idea in your head. I don't want to see you lose your truck over ten bucks worth of wire. A good indicator of whether or not the wire is of the right size is if the lights appear dimmer than they should.
Its 12 gauge from front to back... 11 ft sections of it connected in the middle.

But these lights are only on when the trucks in reverse, so that isnt very often..

Would putting a fuse on the main hot wire help as a safety feature?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Definitely put an in line fuse. use a weatherproof fuse holder or mount the fuse holder close to the battery up out of the elements. You should always use a fuse on your main power source for any add-on electrical/electronic equipment.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely put an in line fuse. use a weatherproof fuse holder or mount the fuse holder close to the battery up out of the elements. You should always use a fuse on your main power source for any add-on electrical/electronic equipment.
Yeah just didnt have one at the time! I will be doing it this afternoon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts