Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
livin the dream
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
make the led on a switch come on if I am using the switch for grounding instead of + Supply

Its a on off switch, has built in LED and has three blades on the back, 1 for ground (has little wire off of it to I assume the LED) 1 for the Acc and one for Positive. any ideas how to do it?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Use the positive and ground spades.

One wire coming into the positive blade, and one wire leaving the ground blade (to ground). The ACC blade will not be used.

Hooling it up like this will complete the circuit, and should make the LED illuminate when turned on.

·
livin the dream
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok but where is the power coming from to make the LED work? Im lost.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Do you have the diagram (or part number) for the switch? Most of them are designed to be positive switched (and 12 volts at that) but it may be possible to have it light negative switched.

Your best bet...

Purchase an additional relay, (like this one -> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=330-073) and wire the switch to be a 12V output instead of a ground. Use the 12V output to energize the relay and use the closed contacts of the relay to pull your line to ground. This is probably the best way to get the LED function you need.

·
livin the dream
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its the kind of switch I think it is you can just wire it backward. Hot where the ground is and ground where the hot is.
I tried that and it didnt light up, I think what Bill said will work though, I was just trying to stay away from so many wires. :doh:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Purchase an additional relay, (like this one -> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=330-073) and wire the switch to be a 12V output instead of a ground. Use the 12V output to energize the relay and use the closed contacts of the relay to pull your line to ground. This is probably the best way to get the LED function you need.
we do this at work all the time i work at Honda so all of our plc's are NPN and when we have a PNP component we use a relay to make it work. You shouldn't have to do this for just a simple toggle switch. What are you trying to turn on with the switch? If what you are trying to activate with the switch works properly and the led just doesn't light then the LED may be shot.

·
livin the dream
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need the switch to complete a ground circuit, No juice just ground, I also wanted the LED to light up when the switch is activated. I tried it like Bill suggested and it works so Im gonna go that route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts