Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So any of you computer/networking guys out there (including you crowz) could help me i would appreciate it. My current wireless router is garbage and crapping out. Im looking at a 802.11n simultanious dual band router. I need it because i still have some 802.11g stuff in the house that probably wont be upgraded. So i will run the 2.5ghz (sorry if i use some of the wrong terminoligy) for the "g" network and the 5ghz band for the "n". I have been researching some and reading some random reviews from different sites but wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this. The best router i have found that im looking at is a netgear (had the best reviews with the features im looking for). This is for home use. http://www.frys.com/product/5957134?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Linksys. Nuff said. :D

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Some brand names are safe, some are junk and the rest are randomly iffy.

Linksys is safe

Netgear is iffy

Belkin is junk

Anything not mentioned is iffy :D

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Some brand names are safe, some are junk and the rest are randomly iffy.

Linksys is safe

Netgear is iffy

Belkin is junk

Anything not mentioned is iffy :D
Ive had just the opposite occurance

Netgear great

Linksys Junk.

Belkin biggest POS Ive ever ran

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Were around 700 or so on the linksys units weve bought and sold. With around 400 and so of those modified to act as wifi hotspots for my isp biz to customers.

Netgear while normally ok for a home setup sucks when pushed. The linksys units can do some amazing things when reflashed.

I wouldnt use a belkin product even as a door stop.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Were around 700 or so on the linksys units weve bought and sold. With around 400 and so of those modified to act as wifi hotspots for my isp biz to customers.

Netgear while normally ok for a home setup sucks when pushed. The linksys units can do some amazing things when reflashed.

I wouldnt use a belkin product even as a door stop.
I think I actually did that onceLOL

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input so far! LOL Funny thing is i actually knew belkin sucks and i really dont know much at all. Any specific model linksys for what im looking for? I found one that was dual band but wasnt simultanious, it had to be switched from one to the other, couldnt use a "g" and "n" at the same time.

·
-Adam
7 Posts
Wireless is tough to troubleshoot. Most of the time you are dealing with RF problems not hardware problems. In the 2.4Ghz space (802.11g) make sure you are running on channel 1,6, or 11. If you are having problems switch channels and see if it improves. The other thing to try is putting your device in another location and see if you have the same issue. There are a ton of devices that interfere on the 2.4Ghz space, and if that is causing your problem a new router won't do much for you. If you do end up buying a new router make sure you get the dual band. 802.11n will run on both the 2.4, and 5 Ghz ranges, and you want to be able to move up to 5Ghz.

For home use I also like Linksys.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im buying new because my current router is a 802.11g and i have some 802.11n stuff in the house now and want to upgrade the router to the 802.11n to get the fastest possible for my 802.11n equiped stuff. But I still be able to run the other 802.11g stuff still in the house at the same time. Hence why i am looking for a simultanious dual band as after some researching i found a lot of "dual band" that have to be switched and cant run both the "n" and "g" connections at the same time. The router i have at home isnt having problems, its just a cheap crap router that i have had for some years.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.frys.com/product/5850613?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I was also looking at this linksys, but have read in reviews that the range on the 802.11n for this linksys SUCKS, as in not good unless its in the same room. The stuff in the house with the 802.11n are on the same level of the house as the router, but straight down the hall and accross the family room. I do understand the reviews are jsut that, random people's experience that they post on the internet (which could be operator error or blatent lies) but i dont want to blow the money on a crap router and have to end up just using the 802.11g for my 802.11n equiped machines.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Thanks for all the input so far! LOL Funny thing is i actually knew belkin sucks and i really dont know much at all. Any specific model linksys for what im looking for? I found one that was dual band but wasnt simultanious, it had to be switched from one to the other, couldnt use a "g" and "n" at the same time.
Ive never seen an n router than cant do g also. Linksys included.

You can choose n+g, n only or g+b or b only on most of the routers, if it doesnt show a selection it just does both.

So any of them can do n+g at once.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if its an n only, the g can still connect? (like i said i dont know much)

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
So if its an n only, the g can still connect? (like i said i dont know much)
Find me the model # of the one your worried is n only and I will tell you what all bands it can do at once.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured it out and understand what your saying. I got confused with the dual band deal. I got it figured out now and just need to figure out which one to get lol. Thanks crowz and everyone else for all the help/input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts