Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled to injectors to diagnose a no start after trying everything else. Was changing dummy plugs and injector o rings.

I found the small white wire on the injector rubbed through to bare metal (on 2 injectors) ... not the vehicle injector harness loom, but the exposed wire on the actual injector

Has any one had this and can I just mend the wire to repair? Looks like it was rubbing on the underside of the fuel rail.

Would this short cause a no start?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I honestly don't remember if it's the white or the black that gets power. I would imagine white is 12+ and black is ground, but I've seen some stuff that makes no sense at all. So, having said that, yes, if the white wire is the positive, you could definitely have some shorting out. I would imagine you would be getting some sort of code, though. If not, then you've probably been lucky. I would look at the bottom of the oil rail to see if there is some excessive casting flash sticking out in those spots. If not, double check that the injector is seated properly, and that the wires are routed through their looms correctly. And if all else fails, put something between the wire as a buffer which won't be able to move or fall out of position. To seal the wire I'd give it a really good cleaning in the area of the exposed wire and would use canned plasti-dip.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
If you have very many miles on the injectors, I would consider changing all 6.

An electrical short in an injector sure can cause a no-start!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed out those 2 injectors and no improvement. Just dropped the truck off at at a diesel shop to try and get it going.
I basically have torn down the whole top of the motor and cleaned and replaced seals, sensors and update parts.

everything from STC fitting to injectors, sensors and egr cleaning.

I think its an electrical issue, but hoping its not a bottom end thing

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,169 Posts
A FICM (or harness) is more likely, but it is unfortunate that you don't have a scan too for the VT275.

So are all 6 injectors new or only the two?

Your shop can always check voltage from the ICP sensor to verify it is getting the necessary high pressure oil pressure to start. You should have .8 to 1 volt when cranking.

They can also ohm out the injector harness and even the injectors. A FICM is a little harder to diagnose - at least on the logic side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts