Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM and all the 'books' call for 20" wiper blades on these trucks. Looking and measuring tho, there's no reason a 22" wouldn't fit. Anyone go with larger-than-OEM and if so, issues?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
in the past i've used oversized wipers on windshields with a slight enough curve over to the far passenger side that it would loose contact in wet freezing weather & let ice buildup/creeping towards the center of the glass... not too big a deal. second, on my ranger, installing an oversized blade requires bending the radio antenna over a bit, still not a big deal, just sayin lol

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at the resting position of the blade as well as it's arc of travel, and don't see anything that would come close to interfering with an extra 1" on each end of the blades. I'll just make sure to save the receipt in case something does >:)

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if the 'perma-grit' that's on the un-wiped part of the windshield would have a negative effect on the whole works....?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
only if ice starts to gather on the grit while on route maybe... if it did, it might 'lift' the blade enough to stop it from really cleaning off the edge of the normal wiping area? no harm in testing it tho! perfect time of year lol

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm rapidly seeing irrefutable reasoning why the middle of winter is not the wisest time to test these things. Naturally I will anyway.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
i'm thinking about washing my truck tomorrow before the PooperBowl, i'm now inclined to investigate just how much different the surface is between the wiped & un-wiped area... 235k highway miles worth of pitting on the stock windshield & you can tell!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've used 22s for a while with the thought, bigger is better. No issues, no noticeable positives either.

·
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There we'll have it. I was mostly worried with 2" more of a span for the ribs to keep tight, was there any issue with missed spots against the glass

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
I've always ran +1 on blades in every vehicle I've owned. Run 21's on my drw now. Always wondered about a +2 though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts