Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since spring time is finally here, its time to have the windshield in my 2001 F-250 replaced. This winter has put a lot of chips in it.

Since CT has glass insurance, its a free replacement. Does anyone have some tips on services to use, or types of glass to request? I am planning on requesting OEM glass.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
no expert but from the 4 I have gad done
i ask for OEM (clouding aftermarket sucks) and i think they usually ask Me logo or not and tinted or not

this probably applies to you also but just make sure it has the trim on it already
and they aren't reusing the old one

I take of my wipers and cowl for them .fold the mirrors back take off the rearview

while I know it is their job this makes them aware that I am more than a non caring customer and it gives me time to paint the wiper arms and spray plastidip on the cowl

i always offer to help since mine is lifted and they almost always accept unless they have the articulating windshield suspension thingy ma jig

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
there is a place near me that order's the glass, picks it up, & goes on location to install. had the cool suspender thingermerjerg & did it on my other truck in our parking garage here at work lol!

& i learned the hard way about non-oem. noticeable scratches and pits within a year. i re-replaced that one with oem best i remember & it just seems more durable. could be placebo i guess lol

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
My non oem would haze between the laminate when i had the defrost on

I hated that POS
My truck has Carlite glass right now but I think there are a few OEM

they also have to be licensed to put the Superduty Logo on the window according to Safelite

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good tips, thanks. I will go OEM and mention all the above concerns. I also plan on being right there to watch the whole process.

Thanks guys

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
oh yeah that reminds me, if your state has laws on the tint band across the top, be sure they don't add too much (new tech might not know this). in my area i think it's a max of 20% of the top of the glass may have up to 30% tint or something like that...

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
go look at yours for two little lines up in the area where you think the limit would be
thats supposed to me the indicator

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Illinois vehicle code regulates 6" maximum from the top of the window made of a non reflective material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts