Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PowerStroke Fan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up til around January or so, all four power windows worked fine in my '95 Crew Cab. Now, I've got some problems...

1) The DS front window goes down fine, but UP is another thing. If I make the mistake of rolling it down all the way, it's a bee-atch to grab the glass and help it back up with the motor and my hand. You can hear the motor go, and sometimes it'll grab the window and roll it up.

2) The DS rear window is similar...goes down fine, but will not go back up without manually assisting it, Same problem, whether with the master or the rear door switch.

3) The PS front is good, knock on wood...

4) The PS rear is finicky. It'll go up and down fine most times, but I have difficulty occasionally with the UP with the master and door switches both on that window.

I've checked the archives and can't find what I'm looking for, far as an answer goes. Any ideas?

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Have you pulled the door panels and looked to see if the track is messed up or if the regulator is on its way out?

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you can hear the motor spinning but nothing happens, the plastic pieces inside are broken. I have taken them apart and fixed them, but should just replace the whole motor.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
mine did the same thing, tracks were completely dry, greased them up with lithium type grease and they work great ever since.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The passenger side rear on my 94 did the same thing. It turned out to be the plastic "dogs" in the motor drive that disintegrated. You can get new ones in the HELP! section at your local auto parts place (part number 74410). Some folks have also used 5/16" nuts to replace those parts. Cheers!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
I got to look into my 97 crew. The passenger rear window does nothing. I hope its not a broken wire:doh:

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
we had the same issue on our thunderbird, i dont know if its the same setup but on the motor there is a plastic gear inside another metal gear so if it binds up the plastic gear strips instead of damaging the motor, ive never had the window assy apart so i dont know if its the same on the trucks

·
PowerStroke Fan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Outstanding, thanks for the hints. Now, I've got something to do this weekend with a reasonable idea of a fix...or fixes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The passenger side rear on my 94 did the same thing. It turned out to be the plastic "dogs" in the motor drive that disintegrated. You can get new ones in the HELP! section at your local auto parts place (part number 74410). Some folks have also used 5/16" nuts to replace those parts. Cheers!
Thanks for the part number!

mine did the same thing, tracks were completely dry, greased them up with lithium type grease and they work great ever since.
I will have to try that! My truck was texas truck so I am sure they are probably dry by now. The back ones go up really really slow.

I got to look into my 97 crew. The passenger rear window does nothing. I hope its not a broken wire:doh:
On my driver side rear, I had the wire break between the b-piller and the door. It was really obvious when I was detailing it one day. I was pissed because I drove it for several months like that, and cruising the beach in cali with 3 windows down was weird LOL

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Brad pull back the rubber boot and take a look. It is very common for the wiring to break apart due to the bending of the wiring from opening and closing the doors. A temp fix is to put a butt connector on the wire but the good and correct way to fix it is to use silicone insulated(spaghetti wire) to replace the wiring that is exposed from the door to the pillar.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yeah, I also had problem with the passenger side rear harness from the door to pillar at one point. It was all messed up after years of flexing and had a short between the window power and courtesy light wiring (creates wierd problems). I finally ended up removing the harness and rebuilding it with better/more flexible wire. Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts