Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Williamsburg, Va area questions

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  PSD Trav 
#1 ·
debating a change of scenery from coast to coast, curious how the job market is there and around the area as far out as newport news, or so.

lookin for anything driving truck, mechanic, or equipment operator

also anyone know what the rent is for a smaller sized apartment is going for right now?

#2 ·
Rent on the east coast varies greatly. It can be relatively cheaper in the south but the salaries are left.

I know that with Maryland there seem to be some jobs in the areas your looking for, especially if you are a good mechanic and have certifications. Maryland is NOT the cheapest state to live in however.

What kind of rent are you guys paying on the west coast? Is this a permanent move or just temorary?

#3 ·
right now im payin $881 a month before utilities, but im not renting at the moment, i am paying on a house that im trying to get out of.

and right now it looks like a temp move, but since im chasin' a girl we all know how that goes, may end up a permanent move

#4 ·
If you stay away from the beach side of the tunnels things are fairly reasonable. I can't see why an equipment operator can't find work. I'd bet you could find a house to buy/rent for that amount. Just remember this is a Commonwealth state if you don't like paying taxes don't come here.

#5 ·
paying taxes doesnt bother me, its a part of life as far as ive always been concerned, i'm hoping to be out there soon at least for a visit and see what i can find, just tryin to get a general idea of whats around before i make the trip

#7 ·
LOL Wouldnt matter to me if she was or not either way, i was raised with the "work for anything and everything you want" mentality, i get bored when im not workin, i'd be nice to be able to just go drop the money and not look at a price tag, but end of the day i feel better about workin for somethin.

if i sell my truck and house i shouldnt be doin too bad anyways, be just like startin' over again only with a couple more toys that are paid off

#8 ·
I work about an hour south of Williamsburg, in Chesapeake. I am a mechanic for a Caterpillar dealership and we have been on a hiring freeze for over a year now. Business has slowed down big time and they have cut our hours back to 32 hours a week. Construction is dead right now and no one is digging dirt.

#10 ·
Guess no different than here, all depends on where i wanna spend my time lookin for work nowadays, Out here we went from an 8 man crew last summer to a 3 man crew. been layed off for 3 weeks now here since nobody is building logging roads. the rest of the crew is just loading out whatever chunks/scraps they can for loads to the mills that are still open

#9 ·
before i forget, any odd-ball gun laws i need to worry about over there? got a toy i dont want to get in trouble with (NFA Registered SBR .22 cal MP5)

i need to look into seeing if my concealed carry is good there or not as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.