Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am making my first post here. Too bad its with a problem.

A couple of weeks ago I started my truck up and it ran fine for about 10-15 minutes before it suddenly died. I checked the oil and it was pretty low so I immediately changed it. When I went to restart it, it again ran fine until it warmed up and would die. Some times it will die at idle and other times it will die if you try and touch the gas. It does not throw any codes and will not restart again until you let it cool down. It was working fine the last time I used it (it sat for about 2 weeks). I've never had this type of issue before and the truck has never shown signs of malfunctions. Here is what I've done so far:

Parts replaced:

Replaced the IPR
Replaced the CPS (Not OEM but didn't change symptoms)
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Hutch/Harpoon Mod
Replaced the injector o rings on the drivers side (will do the passenger side this weekend)

AutoEnginuity tests ran:

KOEO:
- Test Completed Sucessfully

KOER:
- P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower Than Desired

KOER Glow Plug:
- P1397 Variable Valve Timing Solenoid B Circuit Low Input

KOER Cylinder Contribution:
- Test Completed Sucessfully

Readings while cold:
IPR Duty Cycle - 14%
IPR Voltage - 1.2
ICP - 800 psi

Readings while warm at idle (it let me run the numbers before it died):
IPR Duty Cycle - 11.72%
IPR Voltage - .9
ICP - 500 psi

Readings at 2k RPMs (not sure if the motor was warmed up or not but it eventually sputtered and died)
IPR Duty Cycle - 20%
ICP - 1200 psi

Other tests ran:

Injector harness ohmed out good
HPOP gear bolt is tight
Took out fuel filter and visually saw the fuel bowl fill at a good rate

What else could there be?

Bad HPOP
Leaky injector O-ring
Bad ICP

·
Registered
296 Posts
Whats your TPS pid do while its idleing? That would explain the off idle issue... Sure it is ok, but if your alternator is weak, you could have low voltage at an idle, causing your IDM to shutdown, but you should notice slow to weak restarts if that was the case......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another thing, whats the description of your truck???? f250, 350, 450????? It doesnt have a PTO or some auxillary powered something on it does it???? Whats the mileage on it??? And watch when you try to restart warm, You should have 1. Rpm, 200-300 while cranking, indicates good cps, 2. HPO, you should have at least 330-500psi oil reading while cranking,(indicates good hpop,and functioning hpoil sensor) 3. should have at least 12.6 volts in batteries before trying to restart, and 4. at least 40psi fuel psi......5. try to do the koeo' buzz test on injectors, after it dies.... If it wont do it, IDM or Pcm could be shutting you down......6. Make sure you have battery voltage and key on battery voltage at pcm voltage inputs when it dies......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now the batteries are dead so I am continually having to recharge them. Is it possible that this problem could be caused by a bad alternator? I will check the rest of your recommendations tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, a weak or bad alternator could totally cause this issue, but its easy to check. After truck starts you should have 12.8-13.8volts at idle with truck running..... If voltage is lower than this, you alternator is weak or not charging..... And yes, the Idm, Pcm will shutdown with low voltage after enough time....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have it in the shop right now. Didn't want to do it but I'm getting pretty tired of throwing parts at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts