Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’m sure this has been addressed somewhere but I’m new to this forum. So I have a 2001 f250 with a stage 2 trans and 4:10 gears. 4 inch down pipe,TS6 with custom tunes that are a little more vamped than stock, bellowed up pipes, motor refreshments at 250k (337k on it now). I recently purchased a new turbo pedestal, Ebpv delete, bellowed up pipes, and a kc300x turbo. When I purchased the turbo I didn’t pay enough attention and ended up buying a (stage 3) kc300x. They recommend running 205cc injectors with 30% nozzles. What I’m asking is, can I make this run with just adding the hybrid injectors? Will the stock hpop hold? Will the stock fuel system hold? Will the stock head bolts hold? And also with this whole set up about how much hp/tq could I expect to the rear wheels if this is a safe set up. The lowest recommended injectors they said were I believe 180s. Can I go larger? Are 205s to big? Just enough? TIA for all answers.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Welcome to PSN. I'm looking at similar upgrades for my truck as well. I have a 97.. Those 205cc 30% hybrids have a 5 to 1 oil to fuel pressure ratio - I.E. say your HPOP is kicking out 2000 psi of oil pressure, the injection pressure on the fuel will be 10000 psi. The 180cc injectors have a 7 to 1 ratio: so that same 2000 psi oil will translate into 14000 psi of fuel pressure. On the one side the hybrid will not be as hungry for oil which will allow the stock HPOP to keep up, the flip side is that the fuel atomization is not as fine due to the lower pressure. So yes the stock HPOP will be okay with the hybrids, but may not have the flow required to fully support the 180s (https://kcturbos.com/blogs/news/single-shots-vs-hybrids-injector-tests - I don't know that I fully agree with his conclusions..). The stock fuel system is okay for regular driving, but may fall flat if you really like to romp on the go petal. As for the stock head bolts, they are good for quite a bit - you have 6 head bolts per cylinder (some are shared with adjacent cylinders). Your bigger concern is the connecting rods... 2001 may or may not have the powdered metal rods - I don't recall when the change happened (you should be able to search it). Earlier engines had forged metal rods that can really take abuse, but the PMR are limited to somewhere around 400 or 450 Hp max before bad things happen (if my memory serves). Do you have an exhaust gas temperature gauge? It really is a must with your proposed setup. As for size... too small an injector is not going to properly light the turbo - personally, I think you need to go for the middle to high end. KC turbos has a number of articles that show graphs of how different turbos respond to different injectors. It might be worth a call to KC to see what they think.

Cj

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I do not currently have an egt guage but have one I’m installing by the end of the project in my back seat in the box. Another question I have is since My truck is already tuned with a ts6 but I’m switching to single shot hybrid injectors, will I need a new tuner as well? Full force offers free tunes from jelli for a hydra, but I’m not a fan of hydras. I just like my knob. But if I do in fact need a hydra, how do I transfer the tunes onto the device?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the response! I do not currently have an egt guage but have one I’m installing by the end of the project in my back seat in the box. Another question I have is since My truck is already tuned with a ts6 but I’m switching to single shot hybrid injectors, will I need a new tuner as well? Full force offers free tunes from jelli for a hydra, but I’m not a fan of hydras. I just like my knob. But if I do in fact need a hydra, how do I transfer the tunes onto the device?
Most people don't fool with TS6 chips anymore. Not sure if you are asking about taking custom tunes from your current chip to the hydra, but doubt that can happen. However, people can pre-program the hydra or you can use the hydra flash software. This is a huge benefit of hydra because you can change tune order, add/delete tunes, have tunes from multiple people at the same time, and you do it all yourself in the driveway as opposed to mailing the chip off. See link below for all the info.

www.hydrahelp.com

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'll second what McNance said. The Hydra is super easy to program. PHP also has some "canned" tunes you can download and run. You will need new calibrations to correctly run the single shots.

Cj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts