Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leading up to November I was consistently getting 17.5 MPG (hand calculated) and sometimes as much as 19.

In November I installed a D60 and BFG A/Ts (285s, same size as the previous set of tires). I had the truck aligned. Immediately I was in the 15 mpg range sometimes dipping into the 14s but never getting into the 16s.

I assumed the loss of fuel mileage was due to the raised front end with the F350 springs and the wide flat tread of the BFGs.

So yesterday I noticed some mild abnormal tire wear on the tires and took the truck to get aligned. There was a total of 2 degrees of total toe in as compared to the specs of nearly none.

So could this have caused my 2 MPG drop or maybe part of it?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
absolutely a possibility!

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
:whs:

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
It's a big possibility the truck being out of alignment would drag the tires more causing higher resistance.

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
Yeah, my SD was doing the same thing tearing tires up got an alignment and picked 2 mpg back up. It always seems like when I would get new tires I would loose some mileage untill the tires wore in some.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely could but your definitely gonna see your tires getting eaten up if its that far out.
Well, I have less than 1500 miles and probably less than 1000 miles on the new tires and the wear was not right. All the lugs still have the nipples but it could have gotten bad quick.

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
Normally, it would be a toe problem that will eat your MPG and not really affect handling much (although more toe will make the truck seem darty and not enough will make it want to wander). Its pretty easy to check basic toe by yourself. Jack the front axle off the ground so both tires are off the ground by an inch or so but leave the weight of the truck on the axle (ie dont lift via the frame). Stick a nail through the end of a board and affix it so that you can spin the tire and use the nail to sketch a line all the way around the tire. You will know the board didnt move if the line ends in the same place it started. It doesnt matter where on the tire you do this. Repeat on the other side. Now measure the distance between the line on the left and right tire at the same distance off the ground on the front and rear or the tire. You normally want 1/8"-1/4" toe. I hope this makes sense. Its kinda hard to type out but really very simple....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts