Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking about getting a 38r and i was wondering if it will get me anymore hp? My modded stocker is pushing 32-35 psi when i really get on it in the 120r tune. i know if i dont push it real hard to often it will prob be fine but if i could get more power by switching turbos i might start saving for one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have any money right now other wise i prob would. how much power are we talking 15-20 hp or less?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I dont know exact numbers gain wise, but its more about spool and the fact the thing will make 40 lbs boost with the right mods and survive. A stocker is good to about 30 after that your asking for things to go wrong if it passes that number very much. I,m toying with the idea too, go to a 38r and some new up pipes while I,m at it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I saw a 30hp increase on the dyno with no other changes than installing the 38R.
This was with stock injectors, a chip, intake and exhaust.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
That seems to be what I,ve heard too, they flow about 33% more over the stock JB turbo and run about 200* less EGT wise, have less drive preasure. They scream when their wound up tight too, heard people complain about them being to loud, LOL. Not sure if thats a good thing or not.

Dan

·
Registered
498 Posts
Its good and they can make some power as well... check out my sig.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
If the noise a 38r produces isnt your 'thing' simply put the stock airbox back on and you've got the noise eliminated.

But yes they can be a tad overwhelming when used with an open element air filter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My truck with stage 1's and stock fuel system ran the exact same time as a comparable truck with a 38r and reg return in the 1/4 mile.

I have the same modified stock turbo and injectors as you and don't see that a 38r would help much if at all.

Beans has had a modified stock turbo with stage 2's run at 440hp.

Your turbo wont surge. With a $1400 38r it might.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
If you are going to run a stock airbox it kinda defeats the purpose of a 38r doesn't it?

Also, I didn't know there was a surge issue with 38r's, especially since they come with a ported housing. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. I certainly don't have a problem with mine and stage II's.

I will say that if I were running stock or stage I's I wouldn't waste my time on a 38r. A non WG housing with van adapter and a ported housing would be all that's needed IMO.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
If you are going to run a stock airbox it kinda defeats the purpose of a 38r doesn't it?
No. Not at all. I have never had any trouble spooling mine with either setup on it. The stock airbox isnt a restriction for me. I guess if you're driving across the country on a highway at the posted speed, why do you need a gas flow rate higher than what a stock airbox can provide? That only affects your peak hp #'s and maybe throttle response or speed that the 38r spools.

Plus the stock filtration is better,imo, than some of those aftermarket intakes.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
No. Not at all. I have never had any trouble spooling mine with either setup on it. The stock airbox isnt a restriction for me. I guess if you're driving across the country on a highway at the posted speed, why do you need a gas flow rate higher than what a stock airbox can provide? That only affects your peak hp #'s and maybe throttle response or speed that the 38r spools. Plus the stock filtration is better,imo, than some of those aftermarket intakes.
Again, going by what you just stated, why even put a 38r on? You aren't doing any of the driving that would allow you to take advantage of the 38r. On a truck with stage II's or bigger, I guarantee you will notice it somewhere.

No argument on filtration. Thats why I wont run an oiled filter. Tymar is the only safe way IMO.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Again, going by what you just stated, why even put a 38r on? You aren't doing any of the driving that would allow you to take advantage of the 38r. On a truck with stage II's or bigger, I guarantee you will notice it somewhere.

No argument on filtration. Thats why I wont run an oiled filter. Tymar is the only safe way IMO.
Sooooo, you want people to take the bb charger off to dd? If somebody upgrades their forced induction and they still dd the vehicle its in, then you either learn to love the noise or put something over the siren.

An area that you shouldnt have to worry about during dd. Obviously someone who makes race of their dd wouldnt give sh!t #1 about the screamin g caterwaul that the 38r produces.

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
I love the way a 38r screams. I want one pretty bad but the wallet says otherwise right now.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Also, I didn't know there was a surge issue with 38r's, especially since they come with a ported housing. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. I certainly don't have a problem with mine and stage II's.
FWIW I have personally rode in a truck that surged a 38R with stage 2 splits unloaded on flat ground. Did it new out of the box from day 1. Had another truck with the exact same injectors/tunes/38r & it never surged. So I'd say it's more dependent on if you have a good or a bad 38r out of the box then anything else.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I have to say I do not understand why some surge and some do not either.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Wonder if it has to do with the type of intake your running ? Test would be to have two trucks with a 38r one surges and the other doesnt, but one has a tymar intake and the other has a AFE stage two. swap intakes and see what happens. I cant imagine the manufacturing is that inconsistant that say one in 10 surges or even one in a 100. I,d put my money on the intake, a ported housing is supose to cure this , same as a WW. But like I said the intake could be fouling up the housing and reversing its effect.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts