Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PowerStroke Fanatic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a 2005 cc sb 6.0
when he is driving along and comes to a red light and stops the transfer case will go to neutral. It has to be warm outside to Above 18C 64F also it is completely random.
this is a copy of the ford dealer email,

Here are the codes that the computer received.

P0341 pcm
C1700-1707 pam
b1318 gcm, ic, rcm battery voltage codes (it seems the batteries are
getting low voltage)

p1812, 1820, 1828, 1832, 1865, 1866, 1867, *1876*, c1728, c1729

The battery codes could be something to watch for as they seem to be
getting a little low. The 1876 code was the code that returned after
being cleared, it was for the shifter motor. The technician believes
that the shifter motor will only make things worse if not replaced soon!

So he went a bought a shift motor, replaced it and guess what SAME THING
It still does it.
has anyone heard of this before? any tips for repairing.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
He is driving around on pavement in 4HI all the time? He goes to drive away from the light and the engine just revs?

·
PowerStroke Fanatic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 2hi, then he has to turn the key off restart and it is fine for 1-2 hrs.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
How is it going to neutral? If you are in 2hi then the chain isn't engaged. When you go to 4HI it engages the chain. If you go to 4lo it runs it through a reduction.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
First of all, based on the information Im assuming its dash-mounted 4wd..aka shift on the fly. It its the shift your own then Id really be confused.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
First of all, based on the information Im assuming its dash-mounted 4wd..aka shift on the fly. It its the shift your own then Id really be confused.
Which is why I'm trying to figure out how he is getting a neutral on ESOF. If the truck gets to the light and just free revs. I wouldn't be looking at the transfer case.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Also check the switch itself..Ive had TONS of problems with Fords electronic four wheel drive. In fact the switch is cheap enough Id replace it and see if the problem goes away. His problem isnt isolated, so call or have him call(unless he's incompetent with mechanicals) his ford dealer and describe the problem and ask them what 'typically' is wrong when they encounter this.

Ill tell you my method to this. Ive spent thousands trying to rectify a front bearing issue I had in my 96 f150 that was still under warranty. Sometimes people are looking for a bigger problem and could be something simple. In fact if the linkage isnt bent or binding Id try tracing the circuit. Check the fluid! Sounds like a short to me....

Has the truck been wrecked?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Which is why I'm trying to figure out how he is getting a neutral on ESOF. If the truck gets to the light and just free revs. I wouldn't be looking at the transfer case.
Im headed the same direction. Trying to eliminate the possibility of operator error.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Honestly wtf was the dealership concerned about the transfer cases electric motor anyway? The motor only does what its told by its circuit. If your friends truck is sotf 4wd you've got transMISSION problems not transFER CASE problems. Also Djanzen, you've got the same truck, you sure we're not talking about your truck? JK partner.

·
PowerStroke Fanatic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The truck is ESOF, this is a wiring issue with the transfer case not transmission. we had trouble with it this winter (broken wire by shift solenoids) right know we found that we have no power to the 4low solenoid. and this diagnoses of the shift motor came from the ford dealer as a was away for work when this started and he wanted to get this repaired. the tCase is the same from a manual to a ESOF just ESOF does not show to neutral on the shift knob.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The motor isn't going to magically go to go from 2hi to 4hi and get stuck in neutral position. The motor has a relay that moves it. And then a relay that moves it back. So if the switch is sending the signal to move the motor. The motor doesn't generate it's own power. Then the contact plate in the motor sends a signal back to the switch to light up where the motor turned to. But you would be able to datalog that stuff to diag it properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts